Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vapor lock or just a bad fuel pump?

I have a '96 Impreza 1.8L (Brighton) 149k/mi. I've always found answers to my issues by searching this forum. Can't seem to find anything on my newest issue.

I'm in Phoenix and the heat is brutal this summer. When I run the car for a while then stop and park if I try to start again the car trys to turn over but won't ever start. If you let it sit for about 15 minutes, trying to start it every few minutes, it will eventually start right up with the trun of the key.

I've changed the plugs and the fuel filter, still does it. Any ideas as to why it won't start like this? I'm wondering if it's vapor lock or maybe a bad fuel filter. Could it be something else? I always appreciate the help on here. Thanks!

More info: Check engine light is on. Not a battery problem, it's never dead or needed a jump. Idle seems to struggle and work harder than usual.

I have a '96 Impreza 1.8L (Brighton) 149k/mi. I've always found answers to my issues by searching this forum. Can't seem to find anything on my newest issue.

I'm in Phoenix and the heat is brutal this summer. When I run the car for a while then stop and park if I try to start again the car trys to turn over but won't ever start. If you let it sit for about 15 minutes, trying to start it every few minutes, it will eventually start right up with the trun of the key.

I've changed the plugs and the fuel filter, still does it. Any ideas as to why it won't start like this? I'm wondering if it's vapor lock or maybe a bad fuel filter. Could it be something else? I always appreciate the help on here. Thanks!

More info: Check engine light is on. Not a battery problem, it's never dead or needed a jump. Idle seems to struggle and work harder than usual.

Diagnose why the "check engine" light is on first. Have someone determine what fault code is being stored in the ECM. That will likely lead you to the failed component--perhaps a coolant temp sensor, but there are many sensors, thus many possibilities. It is likely that by correcting the cause of the "check engine" light, you'll also correct the difficult hot-restart issue. Vapor lock was "engineered" out of vehicle fuel systems decades ago. And if the car isn't "starving for gas" when you stomp on the throttle, it is very unlikely that the fuel filter is restricted.

Thanks MWATT. I read somewhere else jsust now that it might be a sensor. Do I need to wait until it happens again and pull the code right after or can I just pull the code whenever?

All 1996 and newer vehicles have "OBD2" (On Board Diagnostics level 2) required by Federal law. The ECM will store the fault code for many "drive cycles" so the code can be pulled any time---not just when the vehicle fails to start.

Went to Autozone and pulled the OBDII code.

P0340

Camshaft position sensor - Bank 1 - Sensor A

If this sensor is failing could it cause the car to not start after it's been running for a bit?

Anyone know how to replace this sensor?

It can be seen just behind the cam belt cover (and sticking a little bit over it, thus easily seen) on the driver's side of the engine right next to the dipstick. Look for a connector on something small round and held verticaly by only one bolt). I presume it's not different than on my 2.2 L. It's inline with the driver's side cam shaft.

Went to Autozone and pulled the OBDII code.

P0340

Camshaft position sensor - Bank 1 - Sensor A

If this sensor is failing could it cause the car to not start after it's been running for a bit?

Anyone know how to replace this sensor?

Yes that is your no start after and hot soak problem.

There was a recent thread with a pic of the Cam sensor location.

Hi,

I really know nothing about cars, but I had my own motorcycle I maintained and vapor lock, I believe, is from keeping your tank on empty all the time and for long periods of time which produces condensation in the gas (water) and in cars in can cause hesitation. I don't know if it will cause a car to not start also.

I have heard there is an addiditive you can put in your car for excess water in the gas.

Good luck!

Bye, Capri