Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone out there live in New Zealand?

Hey, I also live in Chch. I have been a soob enthusiast since i was about 16. What soobs in particular are you interested in?

From your other post, it sounds like you like 4wding the older ones, i have done some interesting camping trips in some of mine. You should bring your soob along some time.

Oh man, I cant believe my luck! Yea im interested in the 1985-87 leone's. I have 4 of them at home which I have used to create one really awesome one. I pretty much just muck around with them, in the Christmas holidays I plan to turn one into a custom built beach buggie. Otherwise I have one that I take 4 wheel driving at the Waimak river almost every weekend, or at least until I destroyed the gearbox - it is now permantly in 2 wheel drive, but drive only goes to the rear wheels!

I absolutely love these cars eh, how about you?

Oh man, I cant believe my luck! Yea im interested in the 1985-87 leone's. I have 4 of them at home which I have used to create one really awesome one. I pretty much just muck around with them, in the Christmas holidays I plan to turn one into a custom built beach buggie. Otherwise I have one that I take 4 wheel driving at the Waimak river almost every weekend, or at least until I destroyed the gearbox - it is now permantly in 2 wheel drive, but drive only goes to the rear wheels!

I absolutely love these cars eh, how about you?

Yeah, good cars. Done a fair bit of damage to my soobs at the 'ol waimak too. Friend of mine sunk an '87 out there a few years back too. Try to stay away from it as much as possible now, i'm too short on cash for that.

At the moment two out of three of my soobs (79 and 81) are not going, and the '83 turbo has the non turbo motor from the '81 in it while it's motor gets a recond. Now it seems the '83 needs new cvs (at least three of them) and still need to repace the horribly noisey gearbox, which is also from the '81, and has around 320,000 hard kms on it. I'll get there eventually, then its time to get the '79 going, and maybe get rid of whats left of the '81.

Yeah, good cars. Done a fair bit of damage to my soobs at the 'ol waimak too. Friend of mine sunk an '87 out there a few years back too. Try to stay away from it as much as possible now, i'm too short on cash for that.

At the moment two out of three of my soobs (79 and 81) are not going, and the '83 turbo has the non turbo motor from the '81 in it while it's motor gets a recond. Now it seems the '83 needs new cvs (at least three of them) and still need to repace the horribly noisey gearbox, which is also from the '81, and has around 320,000 hard kms on it. I'll get there eventually, then its time to get the '79 going, and maybe get rid of whats left of the '81.

Oh ok, so you've got the older ones. Whats wrong with the ones that aren't going? If you ever want an extra pair of hands to help you out, i'd be happy to help eh, I love working on soobs. If you want to sell any of them I'm always in the market for them, are you planning on getting rid of your 81? Also if you ever need parts, i've got heaps of random leone crap out here. I should show you my decent leone. Its an 86', 1.8L GT/II turbo, 85,000 kms, 14" alloys, a wicked car, and I got it all for $200!! :grin:

Wish I was back in NZ...

Well, you'd better hurry up, if Winston Peters gets too many votes he may not let you in!! :lol:

Another few NZ regulars are lpgsuperchargedbrumby, from Dunedin; ea82turbo, from Nelson; and pat hutt, who is also from Christchurch. I think SubGSR's son also visits, although i forget his screen name. There are probably more in the new gen crowd, but i have no idea about that.

With the number of old subies running around NZ, i'm sure a few more will continue to pop up. I even saw another gen1 wagon up the port hills the other day, nice to see one actually on the road, unlike mine!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...