Ultimate Subaru Message Board

exhaust manifold tape results

Guest grease weasel

Guest grease weasel

I wrapped my exhaust manifold in insulation tape. I just wrapped the first foot ( the bend ). I am amazed at how it improved power and makes the power come on real smooth.Warrning Don't wrap the whole manifold you could melt your pipe.

I used 10 feet, 5 each side, at 2 bucks a foot plus 4 hose clamps.It's a 25 doller up grade that takes 10 minites.I feels like about( only guessing ) 5 hp gain or more.

Guest hodakarider

Actually, on turbo engines the tape helps keep the heat energy in the pipes so that it is no wasted before it gets to the turbo. It helps with spool-up and consistent boost.

Guest Fast Eddie5

I'm about to invest in some heat wrap for my brumby, I'm going to do the complete intake pipes from turbo to intercooler and from intercooler to throttle body. I'm not doing the exhaust because it a) is a pain in the arse to get to and B) already has factory heat shielding to the back of the gearbox (fibreglass insulation wrapped in steel)

there are reasons for the wrapping of intake pipes

from the turbos to intercooler, this stops heating up the engine bay, and keeps the heat in the pipes, as hot gasses are fast gasses, afterall.

from the intercooler to the throttle body. This pipe passes over one turbo already, and gets quite hot there. This is there to protect the cold air in the pipes from heat soak.

When I get new dumps made I will be heat wrapping those no doubt, with about 10-15mm clearance from the firewall I don't want my tootsies getting too hot!