Ultimate Subaru Message Board

After reading the post on OBD codes and the fact of the gas prices, someone mentioned that they were getting 250-300 miles out of a tank of gas.

I have a 93 2.2 Legacy wagon that I bought used. The only time that I haver ever managed to get more 200-225 out of a tank was when I took a road trip. Milage nearly doubled.

What are you getting for milage and what are some of the things to look for to help increase it?

Jim

I average about 24MPG. Sometimes it gets worse when I drive like a jackass, but lately i've been driving slow and smooth because of gas prices.

New sparkplugs and wires, fuel filter, air filter, and PCV valve should all be changed regularly.

Driving smooth. Accelerating slowly is good. Don't speed...go the speed limit. Don't leave your car idle when you are not driving.

Run some injector cleaner to make sure there are no carbon build ups.

That is stuff I do/did to get better gas mileage. Good luck!

I would not go by the distance you travel on a tank as meaningful, I would check economy by calculation of fuel in vs. miles traveled. It is better if you keep a running tally over more than one fillup for this. The factor here, is many legacy gas tank senders give false low readings, which will have you refilling with lots of fuel still remaining in the tank. The low fuel light is separate from the gauge readers and in my experience tends to be more accurate. In any case, an AWD legacy should get 20 MPG or better in normal use, and with about a 16 gallon tank, that would be near 320 mile range. Check your owners manual to see what the capacity is. If it is 16, and you never get more than about 12 gallons in, that may be what's throwing it off.

The last time I payed attention to the MPG's was last winter while trying to compare to my truck. The Legacy was getting 18-20 vs my truck at 22-24.

Since my truck died I have been running the car.

I beleive I have either a 10 or 12 gallon tank. I have never out more then about 9 or 10 gallons in. Usually around 7-8 when I fill up.

Keep the info coming.

Thanks, Jim

97 OBW - I AVG 25mpg in mixed driving (my wife mainly). I think this is good since the A/C is constantly on here in Houston this time of year. My gas guage does not work so we fill up when the light comes on. I can get 300-330 out of a tank.

40psi in the tires

smooth acceleration

drive the speedlimit

don't tailgate (every tap on the brakes wastes energy/fuel)

Ryan

93 legacy, all models have 15.9 gallon tank same as my 99 outback. EPA is 21 city, 27 highway, very close to my 99 outback. (It would be 18 city, 23 highway if you have a turbo model). I get 20 to 23 MPG for the most part and can go about 300 miles before the low fuel light comes on. (you may or may not have one, I'm not familiar). Anything routinely below 20 MPG on normal roads with normal driving would indicate a problem, oxygen sensor or MAF sensor, plugs or wires, that sort of thing. Good well inflated tires and clean filters are also essential. I do not consider 20 MPG anything to brag about, and would be very unhappy with even lower numbers.

If the 93 has a 15 gl tank. that may be one reason that I have yet to get more then 200 miles out of a tank. I am really pushing it when the gauge is on E (I am aware of the gauge issue) My owners maual says that I have a low fuel light but I have never in 6yrs seen it come on. Maybe my gauge is off more then I thought.

After reading the post on OBD codes and the fact of the gas prices, someone mentioned that they were getting 250-300 miles out of a tank of gas.

I have a 93 2.2 Legacy wagon that I bought used. The only time that I haver ever managed to get more 200-225 out of a tank was when I took a road trip. Milage nearly doubled.

What are you getting for milage and what are some of the things to look for to help increase it?

Jim

I've even heard that carrying less fuel in the tank (thus reducing vehicle weight) can make subtle differences in fuel economy. I never fill mine beyond about 1/2---but that's because I'm married with children; I have no money.

When the light comes on you have 2 gallons left. When filling you should put about 13 gallons in. Very reliable in my car. Carry a gas can and drive till the light comes on, proceed to the pump and confirm the numbers. Hopefully you'll not need the gas can at all but will give you piece of mind if the light fails.

Ryan

I have a 97 OBW with the auto and it has 180K on the clock. When i first got iti was getting in the city, now its up to 21 as I have gotten more used to the bigger engine. This is with ac on. With the ac off I am going to assume I will get 23 mpg.

Car needs a tuneup, and I havent taken it on a road trip yet. My 98 legacy with the 2.2 got 27 in mixed driving and 32 on the highway, 23 with ac on in stop and go.

As long as I get over 20 in town (not counting weather extreems) and around 30 on the highway I'm happy.

nipper

I get 30 mpg when I drive like an old lady and from 24-27 mpg when I drive semi-aggressively. You should know that I am 32 years old, am married, and have an 8 month old girl.:)

I believe mpg has a lot more to do with driving style than the car. Of course, a '73 Chevy Nova will never get the same mpg as a '03 Dodge Neon, but who gives a crap?

Subarus are great all-around cars. They get good gas mileage, have good power and a tad of sportiness, except WRX STI which has kick-a** sportiness, and kick butt in the snow, especially with dedicated winter tires.

I love my Legacy sedan, and plan to keep it till they stop making parts for it. My wife's Buick Skylark, same age and mileage, I wouldn't mind getting rid of before it's too late!! :brow:

Matt

2006 Forester SUV checking in. I just used my first 3/4 tank of gas and calculated from that what I would get w/city milegage on a full tank and it would come out to 21 city. It should be 22, but maybe we gave it a lot of gas, because we are used to our more sluggish Honda Accord.

Bye, Capri