Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good Wheelin Weekend!!

I jes got back from out wheeling trip, Me, Junkie, and Soobme spent the weekend out in the woods getting some good 4 bying on.

You can check out the Album here Wheeling Pics!

Here are some teasers

crewvert2.jpg

hangintire.jpg

crewhill2.jpg

Plus we have like 3 hours of video that Junkie is going to edit when he gets back to Cali! Oh yeah, it was a blast, more of your should have come, oh well, next time. And we'll do it during the wet season, where things are more interesting!

Didn't actually break anything. It's jes that the stupid strut slipped out of the steering knuckle. The first time the bolt was missing, the second time I guess I jes didin't get the bolt tight enough. We ended up putting a limiting strap in there the second time and didn't have any more problems after that.

Man that was fun!!!! I just got all my pic.s from the trip put up in my Photo Al. in the gallery. (they are in soobme's pics if U want to see 'em) We gota go agen when it gets MUDDY:headbang:

And I would just like to say" NO lift, 27"s, and I kept up with every one!":clap:

Subarus ROCK:headbang: :headbang:

YEEEEEAAHHH!!!

:headbang:

It's awesome to see a group of Soobs Doing the Dirty For Real that aren't in WA or in AU!! Up till now, the only other pictures produced have been ones of a soob partially parked on a bump so it's flexed a little. . .

You've come a long way Junkie.

I'm glad as hell to see your brat in action after so long Adam. (getting uglier as time goes by :b )

Tony. For the first year or so of wheeling with Ken I followed him everywhere his 4 inch lifted hatch with 28's and a lsd in my unlifted hatches with big tires and open diffs. (viscous lsd/might as well be open) It wasn't untill I got caught up by my bumper and got stuck on the obstacle that Ken's hatch cleared because of its lift did I finally surrender and get a lift.

The BYBers used to have a cool disclaimer about the lift kits that said you'd be tempted to try crazy stuff cuz your head would swell(or something like that) once you got a lift installed.

Me and Ken did some pretty cool stuff in front of a big group of onlookers that they swore we'd have to bipass yesterday. Really made my little hatch work! Have it on video!! (tough as hell to pick a line and film at the same time) It will go onto part 5, which will be seperate from the Rubicon thing, and which is already over 40 minutes long so far.

Unfortunately, most of the footage of my soob in action is not available to me. John (mudrat) and Ross (magnificent on the old board) have a bunch of video from the LaPine trip this spring, which has some stuff with my car in action. I think Ross's friend has a bunch of stills from that trip, too. I've got a few stills that I've taken myself, but most of the time I'm by myself up here, so no Vid.

Here's a couple, though:

outta the mud

On an old mining trail

navigating a simple water bar

I'll try to find more.

HOLY FAHOLY!! What a trip! Just got home from a long night and morning driving home. Had a blast in Oregon with Adam and Tony. We will definatly be doing this again soon. I gave Tony crap all weekend about his Turbo Sube, but he went everywhere we did (and ALOT faster might i add). I have some very good footage of him in action in only RWD after his front CV broke. I'll have it edited sometime soon.

Adam couldn't have picked a better spot to wheel either. It would have been nice if it rained, but oh well :)

Here's the pictures I took from the trip. I have to upgrade my computer alittle to get the video on here.

http://usmb.net/gallery/albuo15

-Brian

It was a good weekend. I'll let ya know when we got some good goop to go muddin around in. And I'll dubb my video onto a cassette and send it down to your place soon. Need to get an email with your address. Hehe. Can't wait to do it again. Need to get some new front tires, a clutch and O2 sensor and I'll be rarein to go again!

and hopefully MAYBE Andrew will have the sedan goin good...I've never been wheelin in a Subaru before and I can't wait. I think he needs to get a job or some sort of income so he can pay for his insurance and the parts to fix the beater up a bit.....you know I'm just givin ya a hard time Andrew:D

Now... Since I lived in the Southern Oregon area for a few years and did some of wheeling there......... a question for you guys down that way since this is here... Have you guys ran the McGrew yet in the Subarus? I've done it a few times in my Toyota which didn't leave much fun to be had other than the rock gardens. We dragged and pushed a stock Sami through most of it with out problems so I figure a Subaru could tackle it without many problems.

I bet a subaru could get over this rock near the start too, really I think it could happen.

post-60-136027585111_thumb.jpg

I may have run that trail. The rock looks familiar, but there are a few area's round here with rocks like that. I've been through a lot of trails from the Cali boarder up to Wolf Creek and from Cave Junction to K-falls. Half the time i really don't know where I am specifically, jes a general idea of the area. Gonna have another run sometime in the future (within 3 months), might be a good place to go. You can come along and show us the way.

For some general info on the McGrew,

http://www.oohva.org/ohv%20area%20pages/mcgrewtrail.html

After last years big fire.... the trail isn't the same though. I've heard that it's pretty much an easy path now. The fire crews had to plow through some spots but the good areas were not harmed to badly.

How about you guys give me a date on when you'd like to run it and I'll get in touch with my "boyz" down that way and see what the deal is on the trail, open, not open or what.... I'm sure I could get a few(dozen) or so bigger wheelers to tag along for added fun too:brow:

Just let me know......

I'll dig through my pictures later tonight and post up some of the trail, I'll start a new thread in the "meet & greet" section for it.

Ohkay. Yeah, I know that trail. It is actually the one that I was origonally planning on running this last weekend, but I changed it out as I hadn't tested the Brat yet, and wanted to make sure all my mods would hold up at a closer location before I took it out there. Last time I ran it was in a yoda, it's loads of fun. We'll have to wait untill next summer though, cause we're going to be going into the wet season here pretty soon. And the wet season runs untill about May. Another fun area is the Prospect trail system, but that too has a closed season from October till June. But even will the closed seasons in most places, there are still tonnes of places to go in the winter.

Originally posted by Adam N.D.J.

We'll have to wait untill next summer though, cause we're going to be going into the wet season here pretty soon. And the wet season runs untill about May. Another fun area is the Prospect trail system, but that too has a closed season from October till June. But even will the closed seasons in most places, there are still tonnes of places to go in the winter.

No need to wait... I got connections in the GP/Cave Junction area FS folks. Plus there are not many trees left around the trail to worry much about what the OOHVA website makes you worry about. The trail is pretty much year round, unless the snow is too deep.

The trail isn't hard, one of the times we went we were woken up at 7:30am when this POS old ford came past our campsite running on itty-bitty 225's... for a mid-'70s ford that's tiny.

Adam.... Have you ever taken your subarus out to the White ****ty ponds, that is before they gated it shut?? Done that a few times at night when things got dull.

Yeah, that whole Southern Oregon area is good wheelin' for Soobs, it's once you build something big is when you start to run out of place to go..... I was in touch with the FS persons at the Ashland location off and on for our club, they showed us where it's legal and not legal to go as far as areas East of Ashland. I know of some good spots out that way, might be on the dificult level for a subaru though. The K-Falls Sportsman park would be a good place to hold a get together for a bunch of us subaru guys. Our club was going to hold a mini top truck challenge there but we moved it onto a members property instead, much larger area.... with 200 plus people and about 80 rigs you need lots of room to romp!

Damn.... I'm missing that area even more now. I've tried to convice the wife to move back but no go yet...... I'd like to move back and have my old job back too but get paid more $$$.

Wow, I typed too much:slobber:

Southern Oregon looks like a GREAT place to hold a subaru meet. While we were wheeling, we came out to an open field that would be perfect for about 12 to 25 subaru's:

OregonCamping_008.sized.jpg

This field is probably twice the size shown. There are 4 trails that I noticed heading in, and leaving this area. Only problem is giving people directions :)

-Brian

Oh yeah, been to the ponds a few times.

easter10.jpg

It's an ohkay place to jes go and get a nice coating of mud, but it's not really all that fun. The Gold Ray ponds are much funner

bigbabysplash.jpg

Personally I like the technical stuff. Pickin lines, and goin slow is my game, always has been. And I think I've got the final evolution of the Brat down. Cause most stuff is still fun, without being "TOO" easy. A challenge is what makes it fun, and in a Subaru, most things are a challenge. Onion Mountain has some killer stuff, as well as Selmac, and out in Merlin. All places I can't wait for the wet season, when the Brat goes from black to brown!! I'm prolly going to go on a Chrismas tree hunt in December, SNOW!!!

Yeah, it's funny how 225's on a ford are tiny, yet 235's on a Brat are huge! I like it though. 235/75's are one of the most common tires around, makes em pretty cheap. Oh yeah, that pic that Junkie put up, is the Pleasant Creek Mud Bog, in the wet season, it's jes a big sticky hole, no fun this time of year though, it's jes a bunch of dried up ruts, but once the water starts flowing! Woo Hoo, I'm getting stoaked!! Bring on winter!