Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I would like to buy a section of rubber fuel tank inlet hose. Would like to not stop midway through the job to buy parts. I remember in high school an equation for measuring the circumferance of a pipe, than multiplying by pi or something to get the pipe diameter. Does anyone remember what the equation is? Would be helpful in construction projects too.

Also, have a terrible time cutting rubber hose to the right length. I match it up exactly, then its too short or I overshoot and cut too long. Waste lots of hose. Any tips?

I would like to buy a section of rubber fuel tank inlet hose. Would like to not stop midway through the job to buy parts. I remember in high school an equation for measuring the circumferance of a pipe, than multiplying by pi or something to get the pipe diameter. Does anyone remember what the equation is? Would be helpful in construction projects too.

Also, have a terrible time cutting rubber hose to the right length. I match it up exactly, then its too short or I overshoot and cut too long. Waste lots of hose. Any tips?

Wouldn't it be a lot easier just to directly measure the diameter of the hose?

Anyhow if you know the circumference ( how would you accurately measure it?), divide by pi and that will give you the diameter.

Formula is C = pi x D

Unless you only see out of one eye (amblyopia,) I don't see how you can make such a mess of cutting a piece of hose. It is really not that difficult.

As the other guy said, it is much easier to measure the diameter than the circumference of a hose.

I hate to say this, but am I the only one who finds the questions from this particular member disturbing....

Just kidding. Everyone has the right to ask questions...

I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Matt

Kidding okay.

Last hoses I did were fuel lines in the street at -1' degrees in January. Hard to install very cold hoses. Had to put the darn things under my arm pits to keep them warm enough to instal. The puffy insulated gloves didn't help the measuring much either. Next time will hope for warmer weather.