Ultimate Subaru Message Board

car broke again,help!!

hey guys needing a little help again,got the timingbelts changed last week and the soobie is running great,my new problem is,i pulled out of this guys driveway and i hear a really loud cluck,so i check it out and im sure of the technical name,i left my soobie manual at jims house,anyway the tubing that runs from the drv.side to the pass.side,a freind called it the frame,but i dont think its the frame,it connects to the shock and a-arm,its about 3" in diameter,well my question is,how long should it take to replace,jim has a spare but not sure if its the right one,are they all the same,oh its FWD,any help would be greatly appreciated.i didnt have my camera with me or i would have posted pics.

hmmmm,

you have the steering rack going across from wheel to wheel...fat in the middle

rubber accordion boots on the ends then skinny rods to the wheels

sube doesnt have any round frame components

only other parts i can think of would be the drive axels, one on each side

and the suspension struts, but they stand up not lay across...

lets put it this way,when looking at the car from the rear,my drv.side rear tire leans in at the top,and rubs the spring.the spring comes down to the what? and that goes to what?<--- this what is what broke,like i said i left my manual at jims and cant check the proper name,it looks about 2 1/2"-3" in diameter,its not straight,it has bends in it,but leads to the pass.side,it possible it could be a sway bar,ive just never seen one that big lol

ewww, the rear suspension tube?

not heard of that coming apart before.

would have figured the mounts would have rusted and

collapsed into the body before that fat pipe failed...

well theres tons of em in the junkyard, only a few bolts to remove it.

but i still suspect you have terminal rust in other areas if that tube failed.

you need an experienced and critical eye to look at your situation before

you go invest any more money on this particular car

in my humble opinion

ewww, the rear suspension tube?

not heard of that coming apart before.

would have figured the mounts would have rusted and

collapsed into the body before that fat pipe failed...

well theres tons of em in the junkyard, only a few bolts to remove it.

but i still suspect you have terminal rust in other areas if that tube failed.

you need an experienced and critical eye to look at your situation before

you go invest any more money on this particular car

in my humble opinion

rear suspension tube,now that sounds like what im seeing,if i have to i'll replace any steel that needs it,i love my soobie and im not ready to let her go lol,not just yet anyways lol

well commited you be then:

it does unbolt. the entire assembly. somewhere in this mess i have photos someone else posted of the thing but im days behind finding them.

it is just as easy as unbolting unbolting and installing. there are going to be

snags im sure. brake lines dont need to be opened as far as i know.

you can probably let the axels hang from the differential,

it all depends on rust and if you can get yours off without breaking any bolts.

in the junkyard you dont care if you break most of the actual bolts unless they are studs... a welded part of the assembly...

i prefer U-pull yards, you get to learn what not to do on *their* stuff before you attempt your own.

i would definitely start on your own car though and see if you can successfully (sp?) remove the broken part and then you will know if you want to go lay on your back in some junkyard.

Yup, thats the torque tube, or suspension tube. If that broke off on the end, you will need to replace the whole rear end. On a 2wd thats a major part of the suspension and without it, its real unsafe (if not impossible) to drive. But like Humble said, aint never seen one break before, not like that. The car must have come from a high road salt area, is all I can say :confused:

You can remove the trailing arms from the main part of the suspension and then remove the tube and mounts.

well got the suspension tube replaced today,no thanks to jim lol,me get dirty no way :lol:,then a freind(who jim kept calling freddy for some reason,freddie,freddie,freddie) :drunk: i think the boy had,had a little to much coors,well anyway we start bleeding the brakes and freddie :grin: breaks off a bleeder,so i drive the car home about 3.5 miles,and proceed to break off a easyout in the caliper,DAMMIT!!! well i eventrally get it out,and slap a bleeder valve out of one of my probes,in and whala im done,hey jim cut down on the coors there buddy :-p

well got the old one off,and got another one from miles,yep hes here in ohio,for the weekend,anyway the new one had some cancerous holes so we filled them.

Hmmm, swap out old rotten rear suspension, replace with another old rotten rear suspension :rolleyes: Expect to replace it again sometime in the future.

Hmmm, swap out old rotten rear suspension, replace with another old rotten rear suspension :rolleyes: Expect to replace it again sometime in the future.

yep thats about it,beggars cant be choosers,if i get 6 months out of this suspension i'll be happy,if it were any other type of car,no way,but the soobie is so easy,i'll do it again anytime.

no they were not church clothes , i was at a family gathering labor day , i know better than to wear nice jeans while working on cars + had to go to wapakoneta , later in the day , it seemed like you and freddie had everything under control :D, remember i charge for using my driveway :banana:,i think it would look cool it you painted , TURBO PIZZA MAN on the side+ i did not know when you were coming back to work on it , i work 55-60 hrs a week ,soooo a long weekend is nice to do something with the family and not work on cars , which i did part of the weekend ,if the part was to rusty then why put it on ? you were lucky that there was a part here , + the other part ,