Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 BRAT and other subarus dashboard Interchangability?

Turbone and I exchanged the complete front dash on my '84 Brat some time ago; it was a direct replacement out of an EA81 wagon. It is a tedious job and I don't know anything to make the job easier other than to be sure you have lots of time. It took the two of us a good 10+ hours to complete the job. This was a GL into a GL replacement; I suspect a GL dash into a DL dash would work but I've never done one.

I was wondering if I can use some other dashboard then the one I got for my 85 BRAT. Also can anyone suggest to make the removal/hookup of the heater controls easier?

Hi, l have replaced a few dash's over the years and can offer some tips, get some masking tape and pen, when disconnecting wires from switches, pop some tape on the wires and mark them to identify them. You also don't have to remove the heater panel, just remove the retaining screws, pull it out just enough to tilt it and then slide it back inside the dash and let it hang in there. The only tricky one is the air vent located near the top of the dash, it has a wire and retaining clip, when refitting the dash, do this one first as access to this will be blocked by the heater panel when fitted. Oh, and as Edrach mentioned it's a day job the first time, good luck.