Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

85 BRAT and other subarus dashboard Interchangability?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yegoshin

yegoshin

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Bay Area/SLO

Posted 03 September 2005 - 02:02 AM

I was wondering if I can use some other dashboard then the one I got for my 85 BRAT. Also can anyone suggest to make the removal/hookup of the heater controls easier?

#2 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 03 September 2005 - 08:59 AM

Turbone and I exchanged the complete front dash on my '84 Brat some time ago; it was a direct replacement out of an EA81 wagon. It is a tedious job and I don't know anything to make the job easier other than to be sure you have lots of time. It took the two of us a good 10+ hours to complete the job. This was a GL into a GL replacement; I suspect a GL dash into a DL dash would work but I've never done one.

I was wondering if I can use some other dashboard then the one I got for my 85 BRAT. Also can anyone suggest to make the removal/hookup of the heater controls easier?

#3 redskin

redskin

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Port Macquarie

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:31 AM

Hi, l have replaced a few dash's over the years and can offer some tips, get some masking tape and pen, when disconnecting wires from switches, pop some tape on the wires and mark them to identify them. You also don't have to remove the heater panel, just remove the retaining screws, pull it out just enough to tilt it and then slide it back inside the dash and let it hang in there. The only tricky one is the air vent located near the top of the dash, it has a wire and retaining clip, when refitting the dash, do this one first as access to this will be blocked by the heater panel when fitted. Oh, and as Edrach mentioned it's a day job the first time, good luck.

#4 yegoshin

yegoshin

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Bay Area/SLO

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:51 AM

thanks for the replies guys

#5 YellowSub

YellowSub

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:20 AM

are you replacing it because it's bad or just to look different? If it's still good, do you want to sell it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users