Project Cheap:Build Lifted 86' GL Sedan Advice + Build

DrKrazy

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dr.

Is ther a little sensor or meter that sticks out on your AC compressor

that now sits so close to the Radiator that even an electric fan will not fit there?

what do you need an electric fan over there for? just the stock electric fan is fine! as long as the rest of the system is functioning.

I wonder why people are having so much trouble with the pitch stoppers...mine was fine.

camber 'issue' well, these have goofy camber to start with, and it looks alot worse right after putting in the lift. put some miles on it, and see where that lands you.

Nope! :)

Good to know, thought I was going Krazy! LOL

Even the wife was making fun of me for taking it apart 6 times and putting it back together only to have it cocked the other way.

Camber has straightened out, still a slight amount, but what I would expect until I crank the front struts back down. Why 2 electric fans you say? Well I live in Colorado, climb 10k feet mountains with little to no air, and keeping a Subaru engine cool is a good key to keeping it alive for a long time. Don't get me wrong your right, with a brand new two row radiator and no mechanical fan it hasn't gotten above 1/3rd the way up. Of course I haven't put the big tires on it yet, haven't packed it full of the family and dog, and camping junk yet and tried to drive it up to 10k feet yet. Ever since I owned my first turbo Roo, extra cooling has always been my thing.

Keep the front end like it is you wont feel so bad when you start tearing this thing up!:) plus it looks wicked mean!

I really dig the sedans look if you come across another $100 dr please let me know I would dig one! although i would like less height and more go out it.

You should go for some 15" pugs. They are still around just may take some tracking down. unless you already went for some cheap wheels. cant beat the cheapness and bolt on factor of the pugs!

(I pass a pugeot on my way to school with nice alloys makes me want jack it up and swap him some 13" white spokes.... naaaa!)

Your camber issue will become exagerated when you throw the bigger tires on there too, so brace yourself.

keep the pictures coming!

This is a nice rig:cool:

a friend of mine died a while ago.he sold me some rims that are white wagon wheels.i started painting them black.they aren't finished yet.he just said wow when i told him i was gonna put them on my roo.not in a disappointed way,but in more of a it's a cool thing to modify your car kinda thing.i just don't know if i can use them.you can have them for the price of shipping if you still need wheels.they are 15x7's.about 3.75 backspacing .you are more than welcome to them.

6-lub wheels drilled to 4-lug just looks half-@$$ed...just my opinion

I agree, though one could drill the 6bolt rim to 4 bolt, and fill in the unused holes by sticking a block of copper on the back of the hole, filling with weld, grinding smooth and painting. I almost did this but I wanted to be able to switch rims without ever drilling again.

Keep the front end like it is you wont feel so bad when you start tearing this thing up!:) plus it looks wicked mean!

I really dig the sedans look if you come across another $100 dr please let me know I would dig one! although i would like less height and more go out it.

You should go for some 15" pugs. They are still around just may take some tracking down. unless you already went for some cheap wheels. cant beat the cheapness and bolt on factor of the pugs!

(I pass a pugeot on my way to school with nice alloys makes me want jack it up and swap him some 13" white spokes.... naaaa!)

Your camber issue will become exagerated when you throw the bigger tires on there too, so brace yourself.

keep the pictures coming!

This is a nice rig:cool:

Thanks Dusty, we appreciate the compliments. Both my wife and I love the sedans and that's why we choose it. I did have some pugs lined up, but my dog Roo had an emergency that took my Pug money...so might have to wait until next payday. Also have a set of yota rims lined up for free that I might just drill until I get the Pugs. That would allow me to take the Pugs to get cleaned up and powder coated down the street from me. :headbang:

Will see how things work out, sucks to already have my tires and no wheels!!!!

Another update and sneak preview!

Pugs should be here tomorrow, have no idea when the lug nuts will get here though. Took it on it's longest drive in 3 years to my Bro's shop about 10 miles away. Drove fine, ran like hell (thank god I'm doing the EFI swap). While I was there I picked up one my tires to show off. So here it is all, this is what is going on "Project Cheap":

235/75/R15 Bronco M/T's total price for 4 (will need to find a spare still)....$120 mounted and balanced tomorrow or Friday depending on when the Pugs actually show up..now that's a good deal even for off-brand tires. Which is defintely keeping with the "Project Cheap" theme.

tire1.jpg

tire2.jpg

It's going to look hot!

CAN'T WAIT TO GET THESE MOUNTED AND ON THE CAR!

Did you get a discount or anything?

looking good sofar; cant wait to see it with those 29" MTs !

Aye BIG discount, my Bro's boss gave me an extreme hook-up. Another guy had ordered them in several months ago and never paid for them. So here I come looking for tires so he gives them to me below his cost on them to get them off his floor! (oh and I had to fix his computer for him which took 15 minutes). Or else I wouldn't of ever gone for M/T's, but for that price they will do :headbang:

Aye BIG discount, my Bro's boss gave me an extreme hook-up. Another guy had ordered them in several months ago and never paid for them. So here I come looking for tires so he gives them to me below his cost on them to get them off his floor! (oh and I had to fix his computer for him which took 15 minutes). Or else I wouldn't of ever gone for M/T's, but for that price they will do :headbang:

Yeah for that price I'd make them fit :D That's what I paid for 4 wallyworld Librator ATs (mounted and balanced included). Definatly a steal of a deal!

OH YEAH!!!!

Well Pugs showed up today, same with the lug nuts (wrong ones of course, I didn't do my homework). Took them in and got them all mounted and balanced. Did some trimming, folding, bashing to get them to the point where they didn't rub enough to get me 10 miles home. Still need to do some major trimming, and bashing to get clearance to actually take this thing off road.

Big surpise here was my Brother's boss ingenius idea to make the lug nuts I had work....I got the standard Mag Acorns with the 60 degree angle on them...of course with the pugs you need the washer'd 45 degree. Well we just took mine and ground them down to a 45 degree angle and tested them out. Centered up the wheel perfectly and tightened down great, we will see if they stay that way. Well the car has zero power left, the carb is just dumping gas, and the clutch was slipping a tad so that didn't help either. Was fine once you got up past 30 but getting there was tough stuff, but remember this car sat for years and is still running like hell...next on list after fixing all rubbing issues is the EFI conversion/reseal Engine/new clutch. Ok well here is what your all after the pics:

prdone.jpg

drdone.jpg

Rear Tire clearance-wow that's close atm:

rearcle.jpg

Front Tire clearance-only need a small amount more of trimming to stop rubbing:

frontcler.jpg

And Finally a picture of the Builder and his work...."Project Cheap" and myself:

keithnpc.jpg

More to come.......

That thing is a BEAST!!!! Looks ssssooo awesome, good work. Lifted sedans, whodathunkit! Boy those rear tires are wicked close though, must get some rubbin' when you hit bumps, any idea on how you're gunna fix that?

I agree, it's a monster..and got a ton of interesting looks on my way home.

That picture makes it look worse than it really is, there is a half inch of space there on the back...and plenty more room to cut..will cut into the back doors a tad if I have to. Won't even come close to the actual door sealing surface so no big whoop. Sawzall, Hammer, piece of wood, and grinder will fix any and all rubbing issues. Still in amazement over it, has already surpassed my vision of it in the first place. :headbang:

Soooo.... Wanna go to Moab?

I need to go out to the Western slope sometime and help a friend fix a couple of her Subes in Cortez (do an axle in a Justy, and carb/tuning/engine reseal on an 86 Wagon). If I can get the engine up to snuff in this car before that trip I would LOVE to go wheeling with you guys out there.

Look'n good man. After that motor swap you should be ready to rage it on the trails. That new motor will help alot with moving those big meats. It will till be a dog; but once you get it in 4WD Lo it will go great.

With those pugs; how is the clearance in the rear near your rear main subframe and swing arm hardware?

With those pugs; how is the clearance in the rear near your rear main subframe and swing arm hardware?

Plenty of room there, the backspacing seems to be perfect with the pugs. I'll try to get a better picture today where you can actually see the swing arm/subframe. Still have alot of work to get it to the point where I can stuff each wheel up into the well as far it will go with no rubbing.

rearcler.jpg

Fixed up all the rubbing issues today I think. Got my center caps on and retorqued the bolts on the lift. Patched up an exhaust leak and a few other minor things. Engine started the ToD today...blah and the clutch started chattering so not much more driving it without pulling the engine. Also found a use for my rock wall next to my driveway...stuffing tires into wheel wells and checking for rubbing/flex.. :grin:

rearflex.jpg

frontflex.jpg