Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project Cheap:Build Lifted 86' GL Sedan Advice + Build

DrKrazy

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I think you'll quickly find out that fog lights under the bumper get destroyed pretty quickly and easily if you're doin any real wheelin

Yea I had that feeling when I put them on, like I said no big whoop. They are POS lights anyways.

Been driving it the last few days to work and back. Running good, has no power on the highway just would dog on the slightest hill at 55~or so (really have no idea how fast I'm going) Speedo said 43-45. But the clutch would start slipping when you tried to push it (highway ride was yesterday, no way was I going to it take out on the highway on a weekday for it's first time). Actually surpised I made it all the way home today, clutch was burning bad and I barely made it up the hill to my house. Also found the root of my braking being so horrible=Master Cylinder is leaking just didn't notice till now since everything got cleaned up/painted before I started actually driving it. So another somewhat expensive repair. After driving it yesterday, I backed the timing off to 17-18 instead of 20 and it defintely ran better today..curious what others did after the SPFI swap on a carb motor with their timing. Anyways about to snow, and PC has to sit until I get the clutch and brakes fixed :mad: . Which all depends on when I can get my Brother to help me since I don't have an engine hoist here..so might be awhile.

Some of my experiences with a lifted SPFI EA82 that you might find helpful:

5th gear is all but useless in a lifted Subaru. I usually cruised in 4th on the highway unless I was doing over 75 (which was like 10 times in the history of the car) or going downhill. Fuel economy was better in 4th as well.

I was running Delta cams and SPFI pistons in my engine both before and after the SPFI conversion, so the timing requirements were different than for your engine, but I was running more advance than stock. I can't remember exactly where, but it was somewhere between 22 and 25 degrees. With lower compression, you should be able to handle more advance without pinging, but I'd just experiment with different settings until you find the sweet spot.

This one isn't related to any of your questions, but it could come back to bite you in the a** someday if you aren't aware of it. After I did the SPFI swap, I found that the car would starve for fuel during hard turning or stopping if the level was below 1/4 tank or so. This is because they carbed cars don't have the baffles in the tank that the EFI models do, so fuel sloshes around and the pump sucks air for a split second. I'm thinking about putting in a tank from an EFI car to correct this, but for now I just keep the tank over 1/4 and carry a jerry can with me on long trips just in case.

awsome dude, nice job, the thing looks great. i'm thinking about converting my car to efi so i downloaded the conversion you posted. it sounds like you just converted the injection unit and wiring am i right, because i'm thinking about swaping the whole engine over. earlier in your post you was looking for a place for a second battery, well that shelve that your original spare tire went would be a good place, thats where i've been planing on putting a second optima battery along with and isolator to run my accesories off of. again nice job on your project.

Not sure what happened to the posts yesterday..so will repost this all for everyone to see.

The EFI conversion is almost totally done, car is running and driving just fine now. Just need to button up some last wires and try to get rid of the code 45 for the kick-down (which doesn't exist anymore since it's on a manual tranny), and replace the EGR pipe I mangaled and just have blocked off now.

Runs a hell alot better, has a bit more power, and is so much smoother through the RPM range. So here's a few pics of my weekend install and fun:

The EGR pipe I need to replace since I mangaled it off my donor car:

egr.jpg

My creative solution to the air pipes running to the exhaust. I cut them off, filled them full of my favorite sealant "The Right Stuff" and pounded them flat with a sledge. Hey it works :headbang: :

airpipe.jpg

The computer all mounted up in place, most of all the harness is all neatly tucked up in there. Remaining wires are for the check engine light, fan switch, wires for my CB, and a ton of wires having to deal with the A/T that was in the donor car. Want to see if I can get rid of that code 45 somehow before totally buttoning it up.:

ecu.jpg

What the engine looked like after Friday's intial install:

efi1.jpg

What the engine looks like now after getting it all tuned in and running, I think it looks good:

efi2.jpg

and finally one more picture of Project Cheap after it's new fuel system, and just because I love the way it looks:

efidone.jpg

GOODBYE YOU STINKING CARB!

Just gotta pull the engine do a clutch, reseal on cam housing's/valve covers, a cv axle, brakes...etc etc..but getting way closer to actually getting this thing on the trails.

This one isn't related to any of your questions, but it could come back to bite you in the a** someday if you aren't aware of it. After I did the SPFI swap, I found that the car would starve for fuel during hard turning or stopping if the level was below 1/4 tank or so. This is because they carbed cars don't have the baffles in the tank that the EFI models do, so fuel sloshes around and the pump sucks air for a split second. I'm thinking about putting in a tank from an EFI car to correct this, but for now I just keep the tank over 1/4 and carry a jerry can with me on long trips just in case.

EEK! Appreciate the heads up Snowman. Kinda sucks, but still have the parts car so isn't a big deal I guess. Glad I found that out before I sent the car to the crusher. And your totally right, car is more of a 3-spd with a 4th gear for highway crusing now. If the car was going fast enough to use 5th I think I would be extremely uncomfortable and close to scared.

Chaz: Snowman wrote that manual! He deserves any and all credit.

Your right I just did the wiring, intake manifold, fuel pump, etc.. the EFI engine from the donor car was running but not in great shape (blown head gasket). So I just left the decent running carb motor in. I plan on either rebuilding the spare one or just turn it in for core on a CCR later. No matter what you still have to do all the wiring. Swapping the whole engine would be just as easy.

About the battery...it's a tad shallow up there on that shelf plus that's where my intake is going soon. The 2nd battery will end up on the opposite side of the engine bay from the original one after I redo the intake.

So many plans...yet no money or time...oh yeah 4" of snow outside my house right now too. Wish the clutch was good enough to go play (as I look at the new one sitting next to me). Will just have to settle for the RX :grin:

About the battery...it's a tad shallow up there on that shelf plus that's where my intake is going soon. The 2nd battery will end up on the opposite side of the engine bay from the original one after I redo the intake.

if you get a sealed battery then you can put it sideways, and it will fit like a charm... and putting the CAI on the side where you'd put the battery is a better place... its slightly cooler air there... if you have the CAI sitting where the spare tire spot is, all the hot air from the radiator and engine get blown onto it...

hotter air, less dence, less power... on the side is a better spot...

but really... its going to be fractions of a hp... doesn't really make a difference... just thought i'd share...

if you get a sealed battery then you can put it sideways, and it will fit like a charm... and putting the CAI on the side where you'd put the battery is a better place... its slightly cooler air there... if you have the CAI sitting where the spare tire spot is, all the hot air from the radiator and engine get blown onto it...

hotter air, less dence, less power... on the side is a better spot...

but really... its going to be fractions of a hp... doesn't really make a difference... just thought i'd share...

these are all good points...but in this kind of situation....the closer your intake is to cold air, the closer it is to potentially suck water in an off-road situation

HEY!

So when are you gonna get this thing fixed? My wagons ready to rock, Ricks willing to break his $h1t... We gotta meet up, go wheelin, take pics, and you can get that carb from me if you still want it....

Just gotta get the clutch done (waiting for my Bro's help with a cherry picker), get brakes fixed, and change one CV axle and I'm good to go hopefully. Just don't know when I can get my Bro's help.

Numbchux is extacly right...PC no longer has inner fender wells, or the silencer on the intake. Which means, water/mud can fly right into my Air filter at the moment. So I need to move it, plus will be modding it so it pulls air from hood/windshield area with some creativity instead of from the engine compartment.

Okay doing clutch and master cylinder over Thanksgiving break from work(Since my Brother also has work off). Got everything here and ready to go. Talked to my friend about bumpers and a skid plate and will have to wait till after Christmas since he is slammed. So I took the good bumper off my parts car, cleaned it up and repainted...then mounted my new real off-road lights on it. Also took advantage of the bumper being off and installed my 2nd electric radiator fan (this one sits on the outside and blows in). Finished buttoning up all the relays, switches, wiring for everything. Also cut in some 6x9's into the rear dash hooked to a 200 watt amp for some sound in while out in woods, had these sitting around from another vechile I once owned. Looks good but not nearly as good as some tube bumpers will (but no smashed bumper on there):

newbump.jpg

newbump2.jpg

Also currently on the way to me for more upgrades: 100amp GM Alternator, Roof bars to be turned into a roof rack/spare tire mount, new cb(even though I fixed my old one), aftermaket oil pressure gauge, dual battery set-up, hi-lift jack. Will be ready for real wheeling by the end of next weekend hopefully.

Yea front camber is way off, tried the extensions in different ways/sides..that was the best I could get it. Surprisingly it goes down the road fairly straight and isn't too squirrely, and I have about 250 miles on the lift now...drove it into work today since I get off early then heading straight to my Brother's shop to give it a clutch (master cylinder hasn't shown up yet).

Shady I'll PM you about the front strut extenstions.

Yea, my camber looked pretty crazy when I first put the lift on, but after a couple trips up to duluth (~300 miles one way), it settled out some...it still looks kind of crazy, but not too bad, and handles just fine (well, as good as can be expected with no sway bar...)

Okay even with running around and picking up the cherry picker etc...I didn't get home until 3:30pm..

Started working shortly after around 4pm after a quick snack. It is now 5:30 and the engine is ready to come out, not one thing holding it in. Hour and half not to bad, getting better everytime I pull one..oh yeah no air tools either. But since I'm stuck doing it in my driveway, it got dark out so I left the pulling for tomorrow or friday. This clutch IS getting done this weekend!

Okay even with running around and picking up the cherry picker etc...I didn't get home until 3:30pm..

Started working shortly after around 4pm after a quick snack. It is now 5:30 and the engine is ready to come out, not one thing holding it in. Hour and half not to bad, getting better everytime I pull one..oh yeah no air tools either. But since I'm stuck doing it in my driveway, it got dark out so I left the pulling for tomorrow or friday. This clutch IS getting done this weekend!

pulling the engine to do a clutch?? wow, I can understand doing it on an unlifted rig...but on a lifted one, you don't even need to jack up the car....maybe I did it the hard way :rolleyes:

Thanks Soobmater and everyone else that gives us good comments. We (wife and I) love to hear comments like that, since you guys/gals are the only ones who truly understand why we do these things to our cars.

Numbchux, I have pulled one tranny to do a clutch on a Subaru and never will do it again. Can do it in almost half the time by pulling the engine, or at least in my brain. Plus there is a few other reasons I pulled the engine too:

1. Stripped tranny mount bolt that's stuck in

2. Have some gaskets to replace, and going to redo the oil pump again this time with another one that's barely used.

3. Laying under the car trying to get the tranny to line up SUCKS! :grin:

4. Repeat number 3, do it by yourself and add any curse word(s) you like in there. :banghead:

Sounds like you've done it so you know what I'm talking about.

DUDE! I hate doing clutches especially by myself. Lining up the tranny is such a bio$ch. It pretty much takes two people to line up a tranny. Pulling the engine is usually and from my standpoint the fastest way to do a clutch, usually you can just get it far enough forward that you can do it right in the engine well.

Front camber will be fixed, Shady is sending me some of the newer strut extensions. But really it steers fine, and drives fine..a tad squirrley but has no sway bar anymore. Only driven about 250-300 miles since I put on the lift though..that will change here now with the new clutch.

I did manage to finish pulling the engine, put some new gaskets on the valve covers, few other things. Replaced the oil pump with a known good one (put it on the parts car engine less than 15k miles ago). So hopefully the TOD will be gone for good now. Put on a whole new clutch kit and stuffed it back in the car. Still have to put everything back in and bolt/plug it all back up, but it is Thanksgiving so only spent a few hours on it this morning. Will have it driving again tomorrow...if I'm not lazy. Another subaru clutch under my belt, was actually the easiest one I've done yet didn't run into even one problem.

I have done the clutch on mine...but did you do it on a lifted subaru?? I couldn't beleive how much easier it was to do!! I actually got most of it done with the tranny up in the air, just pulled back out of the way...then I got the idea to swap in the lower mileage tranny sitting just inside the garage...anyway, I only needed help getting the tranny back up in the air, the rest, I did by myself....first time! oh yea, and I had my dad spin the wheel while I tightened the pressure plate bolts through the starter hole, but my mother could've done that!

anyway....glad you're making progress, I expect to see some off-road pics soon!! ;)

Engine completely back in car and running again - Check

Oil Pump swap = TOD Gone - Check & :headbang:

Aftermarket Oil Pressure Gauge/unit installed (which fits in the little hole on the oil pump so doesn't stick down like the original. Check & :headbang::headbang: for the not sticking down oil sending unit! (will take pics tomorrow, before I block off the old sending unit with a plug from the DL, so everyone can see the difference in where the aftermarket and original ones sit)

New CB installed - Check but noisy as hell, changed grounds, power...need a noise reducer for it. So :-\

Piece of junk old CD Deck installed, cd drive doesn't work but has an input for my IPod which is all I care about - Check and :)

Got my 100amp GM alt, but is the wrong type :banghead: and will take some heavy modification and grinding on a boring day to get that installed.

Took it for a test drive, man have a hell of alot more power and grip with the new clutch. Old one was so wasted was almost on the rivets. Went to my usual little hill and tackled the really steep part with only one problem...Smashed my last remaining light under the bumper off... :headbang: but I was going up the really steep part damn it!

Waiting on my new Master Cylinder, a new tool to swap axles with, some roof bars, hi-lift jack, and a little something I found to tie me over until I get real bumpers made...

Total spent so far: $1611 not to shabby, very little left to spend for right now. Will be able to keep it under $2500 with an LSD, Rear Discs, Materials for custom bumpers/exhaust/roof rack/skid plates, rebuild spare engine, and maybe a small winch?? All in good time.