Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project Cheap:Build Lifted 86' GL Sedan Advice + Build

DrKrazy

I just got back from going over to Keiths house to look at PC.He even took me for a spin in the lifted roo.I really love that thing.Looks amazing and is even cooler to ride in.The pictures really don't do it justice.It really is bigger in person.Glad I was able to meet another person off the board in my area.Thanks again.:)

Was great meeting you Jerry, come on by anytime...your right no picture I could take of PC does it justice, I look at it everyday and am still amazed how big it is. Next time you come by though bring a mop for the big puddle of drool you left inbetween PC and the RX :grin: just kidding. Was great to finally show off PC to another board member, since we all know only other Subaru addicts can truly understand my cars....Plus you got to see me at my best, covered in grease ripping apart my parts car in 30-45mph cold wind, where any Subaru lover should be. :D

EDIT: Oh Yeah...the threads for the that new oil sending unit I put in...it's says thread size: 1/8 27 NPT right on it! :banghead:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Brats are quite expensive over there huh? I got a wicked deal with my Brat. It's basicly got no rust. It came with the EA81dc (deul carb motor, different head design) and it came with 14" wheels. The guy knew he was selling it cheaper then it was worth, but he had to get it out of the drive way. And the paint on it is just shocking. I've added some dents and scratches too it to.

I guess good Brats are hard to find there in the US. It helps we don't get snow here in South Australia offen.

Your rig is looking sweet. Talking about parts cars. Its hard enough for me to find a running turbo old skooler around here, lettal own a parts one... :( not a commen car in the wreckers too, as they don't break down and when they get rusting people just crush them :( .

I was in a wreckers yard yesterday and htere was a EA81 wagon, almost rustless... poor thing. Must of blown an engine. But my brother and I are fixing up a old wagon. Lots of rust, but nothing bog can't fix! :D Its going to be a wicked offroader in a year or too. Good luck with PC

• 2 months later...

Been awhile, and I haven't been around much. Been busy with expecting our Son (Woot won't be in a house full of women anymore) who is due in June and redoing a few rooms in the house to get ready for that. Also been working a lot which has left me no time for my Roo's :mad: . Anyways I have made a small amount of progress and broken things in the last few months. A few weeks back during the -10 to 10 degrees for a week straight snap we had here in CO the O.E. Alt went out on PC. Well I've had the 100amp GM Alt sitting around just waiting for me to put it in, which of course I did in the 10 degree weather.

I had to do some major trimming on the alt, and move the adjusting bracket over to the water pipe bolt to make room for it. This however did allow me to keep the original belt. I made my own wiring harness adapter so I can just throw on a stock alt back on at anytime still. Then rewired all the power lines with heavier gauge wires, and moved the stock harness straight to one of the batteries. This alt kicks major a**! Once I grab some red tops to replace the batteries will be ready for my new bumpers with winch recievers. Also cut the roof rack down to size. Here is some Pics of the GM alt install:

Mess of an engine bay:

gmalt.jpg

Better pic of just the alt mounting:

gmalt2.jpg

GM to Subaru wiring adapter:

gmadapter.jpg

Roof rack cut down to a much better size, took 4" off each side:

pcrr.jpg

Things broken in last few months:

Alt died

Blew a front CV axle, smashed up the middle of my exhaust a tad, and put some slices in my a few of tires...all from playing in what I thought was a big snow pile....turned out to be a big flipping ice chunk pile. Didn't get stuck but it hurt. All fun in the end :clap:

man, you guys arent cheap enough!

heres my brakedown in CDN funds:

car 900 (88 GL 4x4 wagon)

toyota 15" wheels free

steel 75 (6" lift, used some metal I had around)

tires 150 (used 31" grabber MT)

t-case 40

driveshafts 50 (shortened them myself)

exhaust free

extra rear end for diff and axles 75

welded rear diff free

+misc 150?

so thats about $1500 CDN and should have been less cause I payed too much for the car.

[quote=

235/75/R15 Bronco M/T's total price for 4 (will need to find a spare still)....$120 mounted and balanced tomorrow or Friday depending on when the Pugs actually show up..now that's a good deal even for off-brand tires. Which is defintely keeping with the "Project Cheap" theme.

tire2.jpg

ive done a ton of searches on bronco tires and cant find anything. what are those things and where can you get them??

also, youre gonna want to trim some more off those roof rack bars. mine were that long and even hugged closer to the roof and i tore the whole system off the car along with the chrome trim..... well, that was the beginning of the "battlewagon" transformation. all in all, the DL looks good.

ive done a ton of searches on bronco tires and cant find anything. what are those things and where can you get them??

It's last years (maybe the year before) of these tires

http://www.starfiretires.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=LtTruck&id=216&title=Light+Truck+Tires

They still look the exact same, just called Durango's now. Basically it's a Cooper Tire, just under a different name...still cheapies, but they get the job done on my rig. Only way your getting them as cheap as I did is to have a Brother that runs a shop like I do :brow:, I wouldn't recommend them if you are going to pay real money for tires. I just grabbed these since my Brother had them sitting on his floor for another customer that never picked em up.

As far as my Roof Rack goes, I'm not finished with it still going to turn it into an actual basket rack. Chances are I won't cut it down anymore, but we will see when I get a chance to finish it.

gotcha. yeah, i did a cooper search on em too and that didnt come up with anything. anyway. im not really interested in them, just curious as to what they were. ive got a "brother in law" of my own thats getting me a set of SSR's at the infamous washington version of a sema show in renton in the fall :banana: $115 baby. beat that.

yeah... pretty sure cooper owns them

• 5 years later...

Still in my possession, and I still drive it around...mostly to car meets, etc. Been busy with the house, kids, job, all the cars. I'm still around if someone nudges me to hop on the board ;). It's awaiting an desperately needed EJ swap, think it's evolved a bit more since this thread died off forever ago but nothing that exciting. More ?'s I can answer, pics I can provide? Just ask :-)

Here's a few more recent pics of it down at a "HotRod" show..yes it was very out of place but it was requested to be there and got a ton of attention. LOL :headbang:

pc1.jpg

pc2.jpg

Edit...I'm totally wrong this was the original build thread on the car (I admit-tingly wasn't paying enough attention), it's evolved quite a bit since then.

Edited by DrKrazy
Was wrong, car has evolved a lot