Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel pump psi for spfi?

Well, on to my next adventure with my original 87 GL wagon......

I decided to replace the gas pump in my trusty 168k wagon because there was a bit of a stumble at all speeds if lightly pressing the accelerator - so I went to my local store and they asked the the usual - type of car, year, fwd, etc so I gave the this information:

1987 subaru gl wagon, fwd, 1.8L, non turbocharged, 5 speed, and then he asked THE question:

Is it fuel injected or does it have a carburetor?

Knowing that the roo has 'SPFI', but also has a carburetor, I told him it had a carburetor, and he gave me an aftermarket pump, and I was on my way.

I looked at the pump, and noticed the psi was 2.5 --> 5.0, but thought someone else knows better, and installed it. Well, now I can really tell that there is not enough gas to the carb! I called the parts store, and they will take the pump back, but I want to make sure I put the right type back on.

My questions (which you have help me with admirably in the past) are:

- Is my roo considered 'fuel injected'?

- what should be the psi developed by the gas pump (not in my haynes)

- is there a decently priced aftermarket pump (universal or otherwise) that I can find through 'advanced auto parts'?

- Is there a pump vendor I should stay away from?

- the wires available to the old pump are red and dark blue. Is the red positive?

I want to keep my roo as long as I can, but have to watch the $$ invested!

Thank you all for your input

SPFI = Single Point Fuel Injection (also known as Throttle-Body Injection, TBI)

You do not have a carburetor, just a throttle body with a fuel injector mounted in it. Several threads exist that talk about an alternate pump for FI soobs, most using a Ford fuel pump. It is cheaper than a soob pump (though still somewheres around US$80). The wiring to the pump has also been discussed, and, though I can't remember the particulars, it is not straightforward... something about the red wire changing to blue at the pump.

Oh, and I wouldn't expect that stumbling as you described would be a sign of a failing pump.