Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what will fit my 96 outback rear sway bar wise?

heard and read lots of maybes and possibilities and coulda woulda shoulda's but need some concrete answers...looking for a beefier rear sway bar for my outback, presently it has a 17mm so something along the 20mm size or an adjustable one would be fine....

been told that wrx ones will/wont fit...same for r/s sti's etc...need to make sure it will fit as i cant afford to make an error....

thanx!

I put a Whiteline bar on my 97 OB.

They make one specific for the OB. I think it is 22 mm. I was worried that it might be too much. (In hindsight, probably not.) So I bought the adjustable ones. We put it on and found out that I could only use the lowest setting. The suspension travels too far to use the middle and 'stiffest' hole setting. I contacted Whiteline and they told me that the bar is meant for the sedans and wagons, not the Outback.

So... I had a bar that I could only use in one setting that is essentially the same as the original bar. I did a bit of checking and looking and measuring. I added a thick washer (eg, 3/8") under the sway bar mounting brackets. I was then able to use the middle hole. I'd need more yet to use the stiffest setting, and by then, the bar might be striking the exhaust or something. The middle setting does make a difference, but not too much. I could have gone with the single setting 22 mm bar and have been fine. I just had no way to know initially.

Commuter

PS - Highly recommend HairPin Racing Aluminum endlinks as well. Nice, inexpensive (comparatively) and never a squeak from them.