Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1970s Poll

SUBARU3

Ok, I'm really curious!

How many licensed, running 1970's Subaru do you think are still on the road in the US? (Includes all BRATs and cars)_____________ (I say 60)

How many 1975-1979 BRATs and cars still licensed and running?_____________ (I say 50)

How many 70s Subarus do you think are still in Salvage yards across the US with "useable and serviceable parts?_____________ (I say 350)

Your thoughts!!!

Toddsw2.jpg

I would say a LOT more than your numbers. Hundreds, possibly thousands across the whole US. I still see 70's stuff driving around here in the Pac. NW every now and then. I know there's a guy about 10 minutes from me with a camo painted 70's 4WD wagon. And I've seen several other's just here in Portland, driving around town. Washington has quite a few more than OR does for some reason, and there's plenty that come up on ebay all the time. Gen 1 Brat's are more rare than Gen 2, but I still see those. I've probably seen more than 50 Gen 1 cars driving down the road in Oregon in the last 5 years.

I would also say that there are probably more licensed, running 1960's subaru's than 50 in the US. There's TONS of restored 360's I have seen on the web. I mean - they aren't terribly plentiful, but they do show up on ebay completely restored from time to time.

GD

I, too have a camo'd gen 1 wagon. (my avatar shows it when it was black) So that's two como'd 70's 4x4's right there. how common can that be? I have seen at least 10-15 running around Denver in the last year or two...Know of at least two gen-1's here in the Des Moines area. (and Iowa is not at all nice to Subarus) I'm totaly in agreement with the General. there are tons of gen-1's still going strong out there. Now, as for ones that look like the one in your pic? your #'s are probably more realistic.

Not much up here anymore.CT boasts a whopping 2!!, 78 wagons licensed.One is mine and the other is Wagon78's

WagonsOnly has my former '75 that he NEEDS to get on the road.

No real guess on the nimbers.Infact I was thinking of the same type of post.It'll be interesting to find out.At least to us it will be.

Tapper,yes there's a couple of them.

I just had to crush a '76 GF.Too bad,it just needed some welding and a place to stay.My advice if you're looking is to spend the money on transport and get one from the non rust zones.

Feel free to email me if you want to talk vintage.Cheers

Thanks for the compliments all! I do have a lot of $$ in them and $$ can make anything look nice!

I will get a pic of my 80 BRAT up sometime.

Well, it would appear that there are far more 70s then I thought! Although I still haven't counted 60 yet!! Lets keep the #s coming in.

Thanks, Todd

Like Paul said--I have his pld '75 wagon, not going on the road for at least another year (needs brakes, minor body work, window channel and a bill of sale would be nice too:burnout: ), as well as two '69 360s, a '62 360 Deluxe, and a '70 Sambar. The two '69s are parts cars, one's not restorable, period, and one isn't worth the effort. So count three on-road/road-ready and two for the junkyard, for me.

There are not many in PA.

actually, I have only seen three gen1 subarus (all brats) and nothing earlier than that.

About the three gen1 brats, two of them were in a junkyard and the other looked like someone it dragged out of a junkyard.

I have not seen more than 20 EA81's, and this sounds weird, but almost all of them were brats:headbang:

EA82's and later are all over the place.

You're kidding--my first 360 and my Sambar came from Pennsylvania, and there are quite a few other 360-ists around Pittsburgh through central PA.

And Paul, please don't do that to my mom. It'll be another 5 years easy until I get my own place...and that means 5 years of Soobies that could have been saved, to the crusher:boohoo:

Hmm...maybe that's why I had so many stares in PA when I drove my 79 GF up and back! I plan on driving it up to the Kinleys Subaru picnic next year in Knobles Grove. Anyone ever been to it??

There are far more on the road than I realized! What is the attraction to older Subes in Montana? Alaska? Don't they rust fast in those places?

I be interested in learning more about those salvage yards in Montana too!

Todd

I have Ken's '78 Brat on the road, as well as an '80 daily driver. I do own a 79 GF coupe, but I am affraid it will not ever be a runner. There are a lot of gen 1 cars and Brats around this area, and I saw a bunch in Boise on Tuesday that were faded, but on the road. I think that google might be able to reveal the registration numbers, which I understand doesn't mean they are on the road, but might give an idea as to numbers. Good question Todd, Bradd