Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1985 xt ea82 turbo, need help!

I just picked up a 1985 xt turbo it has the ea82 engine in it but its running really bad I am sure its because the turbo is out. I want to get another turbo, maybe a bigger one? or a ported one? which turbos will bolt right up? I dont no much about these imports but I have tooken my 350 engine rebuild it and drop it back in, in my camaro. So how hard would it be to change out he turbo and stuff?

I would be checking spark plugs, ignition coil, distributor first.

Ditto times 10. Sub-par ignition parts can cause a world of weird problems, especially in the turbos. And setting timing is non-obvious (requires connecting a special set of connectors to tell the engine computer to sit still and accept a change), so the ignition-timing often gets misset.

Another possibility is if someone recently changed the valve timing belts, they might have done a poor job. But first make sure the ignition is in order.

ok guys, I will replace the plugs,wires and coil...

The coil might be a bit of overkill until you find if just normal tuneup parts fix the problem. NGK sparkplugs are the standard recommendation here. If you are replacing the cap and rotor (and you should), you might want to take them with you as examples, as computerized parts systems have ... umm... "issues" with finding the correct parts for 85-89 (?) Subarus. Your XT might be immune to the confusion, as it is just different enough that most computerized systems have them as separate listings.