Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Outback Legacy engine swap

noitseuq

Hey this is my first post. I purchased a 1996 outback wagon 2.5 auto for $500 off a friend that was going to just donate it. I has 170k and still runs ok for its age.

However, im in the market to just swap the motor, i have gotten prices on some JDM engines and need to know what will just swap right in since my hookup doesnt have any 2.5 motors and only 2.0T and 2.2T and 2.2TT

i know the twin turbo wont work swaping it right in, but for $1800 for the engine trans ecu and harness its not a bad price.

ej22t or ej20t(det) im thinking from my search is the best option. I just need some insight, and pointers. More or less i want this to be pretty simple since i not much of a subaru guy all i have work on and owned are toyota MR2s.

So my question is, will a ej22t or ej20t(det) and tranny swap right in my 96 wagon. will the harness convert right over.

please help.

Well, I can't tell you much, but I can tell you this: All EJ series trannies, will bolt up to Any EJ series engine. beyond that, things can be different. if you swap in the engine that comes with your tranny, you may have a different final drive ratio, in which case, you'll need the rear diff too. I don't know about physical tranny dimensions, or stub axle connections etc.

I'd say, for simplicity, use the tranny in the car (if it's good...)

if you've got the ECU that goes with the motor, then it's definately possible! just gotta wire it all up, and find a place to put it!

so what would someone suggest? since i have an automatic, whats my best solution?

Just assume i were to put an EJ22 singe turbo into the car with tranny.

What all will i need for the conversion besides the pedals and shifter cables.

If i put the ej22 twin turbo in, my brother is a welder, so would the fabrication of only the turbo piping required or is it the manifold?

I just swapped a 2.2l engine (from a junkyard) into my 1997 OB. First I made sure it was the right year for the vehicle (only a 1995 2.2 engine will straight swap since it has dual exhaust ports). I made sure it was a good mileage (95k, according to carfax) and had good compression and ran well. For $650 I got the entire engine, but found myself swapping over newer parts from my 97 engine (alternator, etc), and I put in new water pump, seals, gaskets all around. Took me a week part time (I am very amatoor) to yank one, replace the other. Fired right up and is the sweetest thing I ever heard. Part luck, mostly preparation. Hope that helps

im asuming the 2.2 is the easiest way out without any wiring. But i would much rather have a turbo engine. what is the most reliable and common turbo engine swap. I am going to do it and do it soon. www.japspec.com is local to me and i can get any engine cheap. I have made 7 purchases from them and can get anything at low cost.