Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was lookin at the prices for the new WRX's and i realised there is no way in hell i can afford a new WRX, but i love the looks and everything about them, especially the 2.5 engine. I did see that the 2.5i is the exact same car w/o the turbo, except the WRX has DOHC and the 2.5i has SOHC. Would it be possible, to save money, to get the 2.5i to start with, then turbo it when i get the money, and would i get the same or close to the same HP as a WRX? I would probly go with a FMIC over installing a Hoodscoop and TMIC. Any thoughts on this?

You could do it, but it's not a good idea, as the WRX's motor, like most turboed motors is closed-deck. The regular 2.5 is open-deck which does not hold up well when a you add a turbo. If you can't afford a brand new WRX, why not get a used one? Second, to do an engine swap or add a turbo, wouldn't you end up paying almost as much as a new WRX anyway once you finish the mods? Just some thoughts...

Brian M.

Plus the turbo motor is a lower compression motor, so if you turbo ANY motor that didn't start life as a turbo, you can only do small amounts of boost unless you want to change pistons/rods and lower compression.

Basically, it will cost you a TON less to just save up and buy the WRX than trying to make one from something that is not.

My personal advise, I'd say live with your beater a little longer and then just buy the WRX. That's basically how I got my STi. I wanted a WRX when it came out but buying it would have been a huge stretch. So I lived with my beater and saved. Along came the STi and I was first in line cause I had enough saved up that it only made it a bit of a stretch. ;)

Keith