Ultimate Subaru Message Board

driving your 1600 more now due to gas prices?

I had to put a new starter in the Ski Wagon, and I'm using it as my daily driver now....

last time I filled up my Yukon, it was $78. 13 mpg in mostly town driving,

the ski wag w/1600 looks to be around 20 mpg roughly... in town driving...

Yeah buddy,I just got to use my touring wagon for off roading and commuting for a few days.Wow!! A/C,Power windows,nice radio,but now it's back to the '78 tomorrow.I've been abusing it as my daily for a few months now.It needs a tune up but still is a blessing to have.I get at least 25mpg but it gets a solid 35mpg when it's tuned up and wheels,etc. in top shape.

Sunday night fill up for the touring wagon was $49.00 for 15 gallons.It was real low and I top it off.

my 1600 is running poopy... i've driven less then 70 miles on a full tank and i'm already used a 1/3 of my gas...:(

i need a 2wd disty and a rebuilt carb...:(

you do the math i'm getting less then 15 mpg... your yukons lookin' pretty good mick...

My '78 is getting great mileage even in town. I filled it for $26.50, just before the big rise. The needle hasn't moved and I have been using it as a daily driver. I vaguely remember that my first one's needle would look full for quite a while then suddenly drop to 3/4 when it used a quarter tank. I think it needed to burp or something.

The Brat draws a lot of attention at the shows. They are especially interested because of the fuel economy. Many of them remembered the 70's gas crunch and fuel economy was a key selling point for automakers. They looked at it with a whole new set of eyes :)

Yeah, Ive been driving my 78 alot this week and weekend. I filled it up a few weeks ago and left it sitting at my house, this weekend I brought a plate home to so I could drive it again. Great gas mileage but but only room for two and I can't really thro the kids in the jump seats to go to the bus depo in the morning.:rolleyes::)

HA! This one did it too... it was full all week, the needle never moved. Tonight when I shut it off, it was still full. Then, when I started it again needle was at 3/4.

This is the first time I have ever driven it this many consecutive miles (before a breakdown) to see this gas gauge work.

Does anyone else's do this?

HA! This one did it too... it was full all week, the needle never moved. Tonight when I shut it off, it was still full. Then, when I started it again needle was at 3/4.

This is the first time I have ever driven it this many consecutive miles (before a breakdown) to see this gas gauge work.

Does anyone else's do this?

Well mine seems very sensitive to angles and corners, big time floaty. Sometimes I will get in it and it reads emty, then I get down the road and it reads 1/2. Not the most accurate gauges

Subafreak

Well mine seems very sensitive to angles and corners, big time floaty. Sometimes I will get in it and it reads emty, then I get down the road and it reads 1/2. Not the most accurate gauges

ya mine isn't to accurate either... if i go uphill or downhill or even just a bump its gonna read incorrectly...

one time i had almost a full tank... just below the full line... and i started going uphill and my buddy beside look at it and said, "hey your getting more gas! you could save millions!"

heh... good times...(fyi... that was on the way down to WCSS7)

Now, if I remember right the capacity 11 gals.? Seems an odd number.

ummmmm... i'm pretty sure its 13.2 gals... which when transfered into liters equals the magic number of 50 liters...

which is what my FSM tells me...

and hey this is getting off topic... sorry bout that folks...

• 2 weeks later...

with hard town driving, I've getting 20 mpg, so I'm pretty happy with that...

boy these 1600s sure can rev :)

shifting out of first at 6500 is fun :)

though the other night, I was taking some pretty hard corners, and I ended up blowing out the bead on my right front tire. had to replace the tire.....