Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SJR Ultimate offroader project

Scott in Bellingham

Hats off to Scott,

Start the project!

Glenn

:lol::rolleyes::D;)

it is started, this is the design process, you got to remember Im not as young as I used to be , I dont move as fast either , also Ive learned if I have a well thought out plan befor I do any shop work the project will go faster and there will be less rework, also this is not the only Iron I have in the fire, I will probably lift another wagon and finish up the details on the EA81 lift first befor I start cutting up my present Daily driver SJR

• 5 weeks later...

Ive reconsidered some of the specs since I started this thread:addition in red

this winter me and a buddy want to build a few subes , heres the specs on the one I want to make

EA82 dual carbed Diesel Jetta engine

D/R Trans 3.9 VW Jetta transaklxe with 4 to 1 ratio ring & pinion

6" plus lift keeping radius rod mts and rear cross pipe mts in stock location 8"

locker rear Diff 3.9

remove all unnessesary weight , roof,tail, nose, doors,stock bumpers,under 2000lbs

keep front windshield

keep road legal (barely)

tires 27" or smaller 31" M/T

safety harnesses

keep front seat

have 2 small kids seats tucked behind front seats, maybe sideways

tube doors

full cage 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 " .095 tubing

storage on roof

storage area in rear not much

winch, removable on 2 x 2 receiver

Dual front e-brake

lights all around

air compressor

front tow bar

shorten wheel base

longer suspention travel ( still in the works)

the list will continue to grow as we build up the Subies

I will post the progress as we go along

Scott

with using the stock VW engine and transaxle turned 90 it allows the use of the VW final drive 4 to 1 then into the Soob diffs front and read to make room for this the front axle needs to move forward, this also gives a better aproach angle , this will give really low gears , only drawback is top speed on road would be maybe 35 MPH , so this would most likley be a trailer rig

9463ea81_wagon_UOR_100-med.jpg

heres the latest comp chop shop

• 2 months later...

I thought I would give you all a update on the project

heres my current thoughts as they keep evolving

EA82 turbo car (got one in the shop )

shortened 20" in the middle making one door access ,

move rear axle back a bit , keeping stock swing arm pivot up high , and extending swingarm down and back, keep rear shock in stock placment , add a second set next to them , with the lengthened swingarm and the stock shock placement this will give it more travel in the rear,

up front move the front axle ahead 4-8 " keeping stock radius pivot up high or just fab up some new ones with new pivot points,

wheelbase should end up 4-8" short of stock,

6-8" lift,

convert ford ranger 4x4 transmission into a combo transfercase plus lots of extra low gears, this will be behind the stock soob 5 speed dual range,

run 30" tires,

heres a computer generated pic:

9463Ultimate302.jpg

we finally got started on the project in the shop

heres what it looks like after a afternoon of choppin

thanks Clayton for the help

9463turbo_cut.JPG

took some measurements of the ranger tranny , looks pretty long, reconsidering , loooking at the old Jeep tranny/transfercase, T-90 , its pretty compact.

going to look at a set of tires this week they are 30 x 9.5 BFG M/T

looks like move front axle ahead 6-7 inches,this will allow the diff punkin to slip up were the stock engine crossmember was,

extend rear 10" , so finished wheeelbase 4" short of stock.

thinking of installing airshocks in the rear to assist the stock shocks as they will now be 1/3 way up the swingarm , also maybe convert the stock air conditioner pump into a air compressor to have on board air and valves on the dash to control the shocks from drivers seat

• 2 weeks later...

Scott...Looks Wicked....Glad to see someone as crazy as me...Suggestion...

Leave rear drivetrain alone and Cut 10-12 inches out of rear of body/taigate....If you bring the rear to just forward of the cubby compartment back there it works really well....:)

All depends on the type of fabbing you want to do.....Sheet metal or structure for running gear.?

How much if any did you overlap the marrying of the front and rear section back together...?

Hope to see it at the Show this year....

John

Scott...Looks Wicked....Glad to see someone as crazy as me...Suggestion...

Leave rear drivetrain alone and Cut 10-12 inches out of rear of body/taigate....If you bring the rear to just forward of the cubby compartment back there it works really well....:)lengthening swingarms to give it more travel and to keep front swingarm pivot up high and strong

All depends on the type of fabbing you want to do.....Sheet metal or structure for running gear.?

How much if any did you overlap the marrying of the front and rear section back together...? 1", cut out 19" overlap 1" to make 20" shorter , quite simple really , all sheet metal

Hope to see it at the Show this year.... will be there dont know with what as I have to many projects

John