Ultimate Subaru Message Board

O2 sensor 2001 Forester after Cat

I am having trouble matching an O2 sensor. The sensor is a 4 wire sensor with a rectangular OEM plug. All the auto parts stores are indicating a 3 wire sensor with a triangular plug as the proper match. This vehicle was made before October 2000 but is a 2001 model. The 2002 O2 sensor is a 4 wire unit and as best as I can determine from the Bosch pictures it has a rectangular plug. Does anyone know if this sensor was also used on 2001 models?

Thanks for the reply. This is definately the rear sensor. My front sensor has 5 wires and has a huge square connector (about 2 cm x 2cm x 6 cm).

Your car should have two sensors. It sounds like you are trying to replace the front sensor? Make sure they aren't calling up a rear sensors. Also, both my 95 and 96 Legacys have 4 wire square plug sensors.

Also, you may want to follow my new thread HERE about generic sensors.

Thanks,

Keith

My 2001 Forester built in 07/2000 O2 sensor is the same as a 2002 model year. I purchased one from the dealership ( Subaru part 22690AA640) and it is the same as a Bosch #15336 available at most local auto parts stores at much less than the $160 I paid. The problem was that all the auto parts stores are showing a different part for the 2000 and 2001 Subaru Forester that has only 3 wires and a triangular plug. The correct sensor has 4 wires and a rectangular plug.