Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing front O2 sensor with a Generic

So, in the past with other cars I've replaced the O2 sensor with a generic sensor that used my original wiring harness, but still had all the wires. Has anyone done this with sucess, or does anyone have a specific reason why not to? I'm looking to do this with my 96 Legacy GT.

Thanks,

Keith

I dont think they are worth messing with as the OEM one is going to be ideal for peak gas mileage, etc and the aftermarket might work but the signal isn't going to be quite as perfect. There is a company/website online thats like "cheaper sensors.com" or similar URL that sells them with the factory type plug made by Bosch, which I would trust but then again I have connections to get dealer parts at shop price so I wouldnt mess with aftermarket unless it was over double the $.

I dont think they are worth messing with as the OEM one is going to be ideal for peak gas mileage, etc and the aftermarket might work but the signal isn't going to be quite as perfect. There is a company/website online thats like "cheaper sensors.com" or similar URL that sells them with the factory type plug made by Bosch, which I would trust but then again I have connections to get dealer parts at shop price so I wouldnt mess with aftermarket unless it was over double the $.

I guess maybe I wasn't clear. I mean a generic 4 wire Bosch or other brand name. In other words, the sensors are really all the same, it's just the connector or threading. Instead of paying lots of extra money to get one with the factory plug on it you get just the sensor with a few inches of bare wire and splice it to the original factory plug. I've never had an issue with the ones I used on Hondas, but for some reason the one we got for an 850 Volvo seemed off.