Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Updated Smog problems: I tried again, and failed badly... (pics)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:31 PM

Ok, so I gave it another shot with the Junkyard carb... Failed badly, I screwed up the timing thats for sure. Here are the sheets from it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see, its still not idling right, and its still dumping alot of gas... Plus I guess I have to get that lame heater hose on there too.

I wonder whats wrong this time, sheesh... I'm going to have to give up soon.

#2 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 07 September 2005 - 08:51 PM

How would a bad choke cause the car to act?

#3 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

Subaru Sober since 2010 :(

• Members
  • 1,908 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:16 PM

THat sucks. Your a gross polluter. I'd say wait 3 years and then it will be a classic.

-Brian

#4 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 08 September 2005 - 02:30 AM

that really does not look too bad. I think you can get it to pass if you try. the timing alone will be a big factor there.

#5 cricket

cricket

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Houston, Texas

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:28 AM

How would a bad choke cause the car to act?

It would run rich, very rich.

#6 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 08 September 2005 - 11:28 PM

Alright, im going to try one more combination with the carb, then put the heater hose on, try to set the timing right, then wait for the fuel cap...

#7 MudisFun

MudisFun

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:15 AM

Better luck next time!

#8 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:18 PM

Well I give up. The car is spewing white smoke now. I put in the working choke, then reset the timing according to the service manual (disconnect the distributor advance/retard, and the vacume advance) set it to 850rpms with 8% of timing, then pluged everything back in and disconnected that recirculation silved suction thingy from the air cleaner and pluged it and set the idle for 850 rpms. It idles great, seems to be working fine, but ya its spewing nasty white smoke when you rev it hard and let off the gas...

I really dont have any ability to do anything else with it.

#9 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:51 PM

Also, I'm getting alot of oil from around the PCV valve now...

#10 Seahag1978

Seahag1978

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • Witch City

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:34 PM

Chain of events.

Ok, the carb is running right? Idle is there and timing right? All seems well. Smoke. Much smoke. Enough to gag a maggot?

Do a compression test. Sounds like what mine did. Seems once I GOT proper fuel, spark, we found a cylinder was borked. Got a "new" engine in... all is well. Walla... daily driver!

I HOPE I'm wrong!
Best of luck!
Mary

#11 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:41 PM

If it needs an engine, the car is going up for sale :(

The odd part was how it wasnt spewing as much smoke with the untouched junkyard carb, so I dont quite think its the engine itself...

#12 Seahag1978

Seahag1978

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • Witch City

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:25 PM

The key here was once it gets everything it needs the engine problem reared its ugly head. Mine never smoked until it was running on its own, up to operating temp. Took the oil out... watery and smelled like gas. Big time.

An engine is cheap. Not impossibly hard to change out either.

Do the compression test. It'll rule that out.

#13 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:49 PM

Well since I cant do anything with the motor right now, I decided i'd primer the roof, lol!

pic: http://community.web...447619841xRpIZd

#14 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

• Members
  • 1,908 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:35 PM

White smoke is coolant. You need to make sure, when your swapping carbs, that you are using a new carburator gasket every time.

If you do not, coolant will get from the water passage into the intake and that would cause the problem you are having right now.

-Brian

#15 subie94

subie94

Major Subaru Fan..

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • Epsom,N.H.

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:56 PM

White smoke is coolant. You need to make sure, when your swapping carbs, that you are using a new carburator gasket every time.
-Brian

i agree.

one time i had to rebuild a carb,now granted i used new gaskets but did clean the surface all the way.once the carb was back on the engine i'd get a whistle while it was running.i'd give it gas an whistle would stop.this shows that the smallest thing could cause a problem.

#16 Seahag1978

Seahag1978

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • Witch City

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:24 PM

K-man,

How does the exhaust smell? Get right down on it... if it smells like a toasted marshmallow... coolant is just leaking by, if it smells like strong, normal exhaust then my guess is engine.

Can you get a little oil out? Smell that too. If the odor is heavily laced with gas then the "feel" will be more like WD40 rather than motor oil. Then that means gas is getting into the oil.

I have always been pretty good with finding a problem using my nose, ear and fingers. I don't have a clue how to fix it, but know where the problem is.

#17 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:18 PM

If you do not, coolant will get from the water passage into the intake and that would cause the problem you are having right now.

-Brian

Thats possible... I had two new ones when I started, but I ended up re-using them... I have another one on the way, ill put the new one on when it gets here.

#18 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:19 PM

K-man,

How does the exhaust smell? Get right down on it... if it smells like a toasted marshmallow... coolant is just leaking by, if it smells like strong, normal exhaust then my guess is engine.

Can you get a little oil out? Smell that too. If the odor is heavily laced with gas then the "feel" will be more like WD40 rather than motor oil. Then that means gas is getting into the oil.

I have always been pretty good with finding a problem using my nose, ear and fingers. I don't have a clue how to fix it, but know where the problem is.

Hmm, Ill have to try that, easy enough...

#19 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

• Members
  • 1,908 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:28 PM

I bought a sheet of gasket paper from Kragen for like $3. Then I used the spacer on my EA81 as a stencil and cut out new ones everytime I did my carbs. Also, a good light coat of some sealant never hurts.

-Brian

#20 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:12 PM

It definatly doesnt smell like "roasted marshmellows", at least not to my nose... Definatly a strong smoke/exhaust smell. I checked the oil too and cant see any evidence of coolant mixing in.

So, I painted one side of the car while I wait for my gaskets and other stuff (wont be here til the 15th or 16th):

Posted Image

#21 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:44 PM

looking good

i am looking for one like yours:brow:

#22 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:33 PM

And now I painted the whole car, woot! :)

Posted Image

#23 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:21 PM

PCV valve replaced, no change (exept for no more leak).

Still awaiting a new gasket...

#24 Seahag1978

Seahag1978

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • Witch City

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:37 PM

It definatly doesnt smell like "roasted marshmellows", at least not to my nose... Definatly a strong smoke/exhaust smell. I checked the oil too and cant see any evidence of coolant mixing in.

So, I painted one side of the car while I wait for my gaskets and other stuff (wont be here til the 15th or 16th):

Posted Image

Oh, I see you were looking for coolant in the oil... look for gas in it... smell it and feel it.

Did you do the compression test?

#25 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:27 AM

Did you do the compression test?

Im taking it to a local shop that specializes in subarus. They will check that there, along with a few other things... I'm going to get the gasket on first of course.

There doesnt seem to be any fuel in the oil either, the texture is right and theres no gas smell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users