Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Updated Smog problems: I tried again, and failed badly... (pics)

Ok, so I gave it another shot with the Junkyard carb... Failed badly, I screwed up the timing thats for sure. Here are the sheets from it:

Smogsheet.jpg

SmogSpecs.jpg

As you can see, its still not idling right, and its still dumping alot of gas... Plus I guess I have to get that lame heater hose on there too.

I wonder whats wrong this time, sheesh... I'm going to have to give up soon.

Well I give up. The car is spewing white smoke now. I put in the working choke, then reset the timing according to the service manual (disconnect the distributor advance/retard, and the vacume advance) set it to 850rpms with 8% of timing, then pluged everything back in and disconnected that recirculation silved suction thingy from the air cleaner and pluged it and set the idle for 850 rpms. It idles great, seems to be working fine, but ya its spewing nasty white smoke when you rev it hard and let off the gas...

I really dont have any ability to do anything else with it.

Chain of events.

Ok, the carb is running right? Idle is there and timing right? All seems well. Smoke. Much smoke. Enough to gag a maggot?

Do a compression test. Sounds like what mine did. Seems once I GOT proper fuel, spark, we found a cylinder was borked. Got a "new" engine in... all is well. Walla... daily driver!

I HOPE I'm wrong!

Best of luck!

Mary

The key here was once it gets everything it needs the engine problem reared its ugly head. Mine never smoked until it was running on its own, up to operating temp. Took the oil out... watery and smelled like gas. Big time.

An engine is cheap. Not impossibly hard to change out either.

Do the compression test. It'll rule that out.

White smoke is coolant. You need to make sure, when your swapping carbs, that you are using a new carburator gasket every time.

-Brian

i agree.

one time i had to rebuild a carb,now granted i used new gaskets but did clean the surface all the way.once the carb was back on the engine i'd get a whistle while it was running.i'd give it gas an whistle would stop.this shows that the smallest thing could cause a problem.

K-man,

How does the exhaust smell? Get right down on it... if it smells like a toasted marshmallow... coolant is just leaking by, if it smells like strong, normal exhaust then my guess is engine.

Can you get a little oil out? Smell that too. If the odor is heavily laced with gas then the "feel" will be more like WD40 rather than motor oil. Then that means gas is getting into the oil.

I have always been pretty good with finding a problem using my nose, ear and fingers. I don't have a clue how to fix it, but know where the problem is.

White smoke is coolant. You need to make sure, when your swapping carbs, that you are using a new carburator gasket every time.

If you do not, coolant will get from the water passage into the intake and that would cause the problem you are having right now.

-Brian

Thats possible... I had two new ones when I started, but I ended up re-using them... I have another one on the way, ill put the new one on when it gets here.

K-man,

How does the exhaust smell? Get right down on it... if it smells like a toasted marshmallow... coolant is just leaking by, if it smells like strong, normal exhaust then my guess is engine.

Can you get a little oil out? Smell that too. If the odor is heavily laced with gas then the "feel" will be more like WD40 rather than motor oil. Then that means gas is getting into the oil.

I have always been pretty good with finding a problem using my nose, ear and fingers. I don't have a clue how to fix it, but know where the problem is.

Hmm, Ill have to try that, easy enough...

It definatly doesnt smell like "roasted marshmellows", at least not to my nose... Definatly a strong smoke/exhaust smell. I checked the oil too and cant see any evidence of coolant mixing in.

So, I painted one side of the car while I wait for my gaskets and other stuff (wont be here til the 15th or 16th):

side113.jpg

It definatly doesnt smell like "roasted marshmellows", at least not to my nose... Definatly a strong smoke/exhaust smell. I checked the oil too and cant see any evidence of coolant mixing in.

So, I painted one side of the car while I wait for my gaskets and other stuff (wont be here til the 15th or 16th):

side113.jpg

Oh, I see you were looking for coolant in the oil... look for gas in it... smell it and feel it.

Did you do the compression test?

Did you do the compression test?

Im taking it to a local shop that specializes in subarus. They will check that there, along with a few other things... I'm going to get the gasket on first of course.

There doesnt seem to be any fuel in the oil either, the texture is right and theres no gas smell.