Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 low/no idle when warm

I just finished putting an EJ22 into my 86 GL wagon. It runs great except for one little problem: When cold, the engine idles fine, but as it warms up, it will idle very slowly and eventually not idle at all. It's as if the IAC is just shutting down the air flow and killing the engine. What might I check initially in order to remedy this problem? I'm going to try to read the codes this weekend, which should help, but any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm.... The air filter is new, but now that I think about it, the engine seemed to idle fine before I installed the filter box... Is it possible that the ECM set all of its operating parameters when I ran the engine without the air box and now it isn't getting as much air? I'll check my FSM to see how to reset everthing.

Any other ideas? Coolant thermosensor maybe?

How does the car run? If it runs good when cold and when warm, it's probably not the coolant temp sensor.

Does your throttle body have a screw like this on it?

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/tb/

If so, see if it's screwed in all the way....if so unscrew it a little.

You can pull the battery for 30 min or so to clear the ECU. It's possible running it without the airbox caused issues, but I doubt it.

Wait.....did you use all the sensors/ECU and such for the EJ22??

How does the car run? If it runs good when cold and when warm, it's probably not the coolant temp sensor.

Does your throttle body have a screw like this on it?

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/tb/

If so, see if it's screwed in all the way....if so unscrew it a little.

You can pull the battery for 30 min or so to clear the ECU. It's possible running it without the airbox caused issues, but I doubt it.

Wait.....did you use all the sensors/ECU and such for the EJ22??

As far as I know, everything got hooked up that came with the EJ22. The ecm and harness are currently piled in the spare tire area:drunk: .

It runs great other than this, so I'll check the screw.