Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I mentioned something about this in a previous post about something else but now the problem has gotten more specific so I figured Id start a new one.

My tranny feels like its overheating. I looked in the legacy manual I have and I cant figure out how it's cooled. My primary fan is shot (so my secondary is on all the time and I cant use a/c or my motor will start getting hot) and my coolant should be replaced soon, its not completely bad but it is getting there. Im not completely surprised at all the issues with my car considering the mileage on it but Im wondering if that might be a reason for the tranny to overheat. It's that or a cooling line that Im gonna have to actually look for is blocked, but access to lifts for personal use it limited to school since work wont let me work on my car w/o a work order being on it and Im just not paying up to check/work on my own car.

Im thinking its overheating cuz when its been on the road for over an hr or two it starts acting up, if I let it cool down it works just fine til it gets hot again. I make regular trips 45+ mi away so this is a problem for me and Im hoping Im not gonna have to give up on my car cuz sometimes I dont have time to wait an hr to let it cool down so I can get home and I wont drive it far after it starts acting up.

Now that Im thinking about this this isnt torque binding right? I did have the fwd fuse in for a while when the flexplate was giving me problems (this was when I didnt know wtf was going on with it) and my dad didnt notice anything wrong with it when he drove it to my work from the shop (about 25mi away and the mechanic drove it for 30-45 min before that to make sure it was fine so it had time to warm up and get hot) and I pulled the fuse as soon as I got ready to go home so I never drove with it in. It feels like the gear is either sticking or like its towing something (think tow rope thats not being kept taut but not jerking the entire car)

After reading a mess of posts about torque bind I think this is my issue. I cant find anything that says it only does it when its warmed up (or cold for that matter) but the symtoms do sound familiar.

And does anyone by any chance know an easier way to grease the outer CV joint short of breaking the metal band and replacing it? My LF cv joint clicks once in a while and I just noticed there's damn near no grease in the boot. And I really hate dealing with those metal bands...