Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

coolant leak stop?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Midwst

Midwst

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Cedar Rapids

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:34 PM

What do you think about coolant leak stop products? Safe? Not safe? Which ones would you use on a Subaru? I have good luck with the brown tablets, but never used them on a Subaru before. Have used them on Saturns and a Chevy 1500 van...work, no problems.

#2 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:30 PM

My personal opinion is that stop leak is more like stop-up. They are good for plugging the radiator and (especially) the heater core. They are a stop gap for any cooling system leak, as the leak is usually caused by corrosion or material deterioration, and "a finger in the dike" will not halt the progression of either.

Remember, though... my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. :)

#3 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:06 AM

It's a get you home from the middle of nowhere solution.

If you decide to go ahead anyway, make sure you use as little as possible.

#4 jib

jib

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:58 AM

What do you think about coolant leak stop products? Safe? Not safe? Which ones would you use on a Subaru? I have good luck with the brown tablets, but never used them on a Subaru before. Have used them on Saturns and a Chevy 1500 van...work, no problems.

Yes, they are a stop gap solution for getting home or nursing a beater into it's grave. If it's a long term driver, you'll be best served by fixing the problem correctly.

BTW - I've used them for years on one car, because I thought it was going to die, but just kept going, and going, and going. The was Barr's leak pellets and this is not an endorsement. I don't like using additives.

Jack

#5 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 08 September 2005 - 11:45 AM

I'm surprised no one mentioned it.

If you are wanting to use a stop leak product, why not buy the one that Subaru was forcing upon the early 2.5L Phase II engine owners?

It's probably no different than anything else, but just an idea.

Commuter

#6 Subaru in the Rainfroest

Subaru in the Rainfroest

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Forks

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:00 PM

go to your logal parts store and ask if they have metallic seal. i have use it before to stop coolant leaks. it can also be use to fix crack block and heads. it is suppost to be a perment fix but only time will tel that. i just put it in my sumie a couple weeks ago and it stop the leak with in a couple minutes. and i haven't had a leak since. Jerrod

#7 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,624 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:28 PM

Get the one that Subaru uses. They act in the presence of temperature and air. The ones for the last 20 years dont really clog anyhting up, and if the do, they are just speding up the inevitable. Heater cores have large flow pipes. The radiator is mych more lkely to clog if anything was going to clog.
GM also has this as a "treatment" for corvettes (forget which years). ive used it and has had it been a perm fix for leaking heater cores. Radiators i fix.

nipper

#8 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:43 PM

I personally don't like them, because I buy older cars and fix them, and I end up replacing radiators that don't flow because of stop-leak.

I've never used the Subaru product. If Subaru will stand by it, I'd say go ahead.

#9 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:30 PM

I don't usually use stop leak either, and for the same reason. I have the Subaru stuff in my phase 2 now along with the post 03 head gaskets though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users