Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drags - 14.5 sec **video clip posted**

Just got back from Lebanon Valley Dragway (www.dragway.com) Good results to pass along.

14.586 @ 92.72

14.868 @ 91.53

The runs up until then were just trying to work out some setup issues because I havent run it in a year. Also got the 5th injector working. Pretty solid numbers though. Thats close to par with you top manual tranny guys. I noticed that the car launched real well, but the top end was lacking pretty bad. I was housing cars off the line, but having them blow by at like 1000ft. I got some ideas to play with for next time.

I just checked a couple HP calculators, and it puts me at about 150HP to the wheels, through a 2wd auto. Who has a reasonable conversion rate to get crank HP for the auto??? {calling WJM, lol}

PS - Im a complete moron for forgetting to bring the camera for video/pix. That thing was doing some impressive burnouts, got some good crowd response.

and like i said above, got the 5th injector working and tuned farily well. I feel that with a few more tweaks to get more top end I can be in the low 14s.

I'm thinking of getting a new coil... I have read up a bit on what you guys are using, but I wanted a fresh count of who is having good luck with the certain brands.

OK Kev, I'm gonna try to remember everything.

*Weight Reduction -- Stripped interior, AC, all the random stuff to strip.

*Tranny Cooler

*Gauges -- big tach, boost, oil press, water temp

*Swapped on V-belt pulleys instead of the serpentine setup.

*Stock internals

*Saab 900 intercooler -- rigged with homedepot pipe (smoother pipe is in its near future.

*2.5" downpipe to Dynomax Race Bullet muffler

*Boost @ 15psi -- just put a plastic tee in the wastegate line so it bleeds off. (I also have a better MBC in the works, but its not consistent enough to run yet)

*5th injector. {Saab cold start injector, run off a pressure switch and a relay... much discussion about this on the board}

*Gutted right headlight = Ram Air

*K&N filter in the stock airbox.

I think thats it. You shoulda seen the burnouts, got some good comments. But Im such a moron and forgot the cameras.

Very impressive, Matt!!

Great numbers! How much do you think the stock turbo is holding you up? That thing can't be efficient at all at 15 psi...

I hope to get mine to a track or dyno somewhere so I can see what happens after I get my 5th injector installed and tuned... how did you tune yours? With a regular A/F gauge? Wideband?

Cheers!

Manny

As far as tuning goes, the first two runs I had it come on too early and it bogged the engine. I just set the pressure switch to come on at high psi. Its definately not a science yet, lol. Ill know more the next time i get it out again (maybe a week from Sat, not sure yet).

The turbo is definately holding back the top end. It launches real hard and pulls through 1 and 2, but then when its in 3rd @ speed it has a hard time keeping up. I might try to get a T3 for it, cause I know where i can get one. Im sure a vf7/11 would be much much easier, but its slim pickings at the yards.

Oh and reaction times of" .068 .051 .085 .072 .207 (first run in a year, gimme a break)

Not too shabby! I'm only .3 seconds ahead of you. And I'm launching with a locked rear, I'm also loosing power at the top of the track and my ignition cuts out for a second every damn time. I did put new plugs in it and closed the gap to .035" but it didn't help. Could even be clogged fuel filter. I'm guessing it's my crappy air-to-water IC that I built in like 2 hours. I have a monster aluminum one that should be enough for a big block v8, it's been sitting on the garage floor.

I'll figure out my cut-out problem and hopefully be in the high 13's. I've got a fresh engine on the stand that is getting the heads ported and polished and matched to the spider intake. I also have a ton of 2" stainless tubing that I'll be TIG welding into a header and on goes the T3 with a .60 compressor and .63 turbine.

You know what you should try for IC tubing??? Check craigslist for a free metal futon. No kidding, I got one just for that reason but decided to run a water-to-air. The futons have nice bends and thin, light tubing. Also, when you whip the mustang guy and he walks over to look at your engine, you can tell him how you used old furnature parts in your 80's 4 banger to beat his rump roast. haha

Yeah last year I took out some kid in a 5.0 twice in a row, and he had been staging with his rear tires cause he didnt know what he was doing. I look over like, wtf, and the xmas tree guy is like 'whatever just go with it' and chuckling a little.

Anyways, New tubing is the next step I had planned. Along with a new coil and some other random things. Hopefully a bigger turbo, torque converter, maybe some head work during the winter.

-matt

• 2 weeks later...

Well my bother decided to head out to street night with his '70 Nova, so my pops went ahead and brought my XT out for a few runs too. He squeezed a 14.6 out of it. I only chatted with him briefly so I dont know the mph or distance breakdowns, but it was good to hear. ((I was at school and working all day so I wasnt able to go)).

Im going to go on Sat and beat the hell out of it some more. You guys will be the first to know how it went.

Took the XT out to the races again today. Consistent, but disappointing.

did nail a .016 light along with .093 and .045.

I was there 8 hours and got 3 runs. huge waste of time. there were numerous oil downs, a toyota starlet nearly took out the tree+starter guy+honda civic in the other lane and ended up on its side during its "burnout attempt", and a motorcyclist dumped it at 120mph (he was ok).

gonna try for streetnight on Wed.

_matt

Took it out on the last street night yesterday evening. Got two runs before it broke when we were doing some testing in the pits. Its something in the tranny, like the diff is messed up or something. (we have another one to drop in, so no big deal)

r/t = .065

60' = 2.153 (by far the best one Ive had)

1/4 = 14.648

90.68 mph

r/t = .007 (yes sir, although I wasnt spooled enough and the launch suffered)

60' = 2.484

1/4 = 14.870

94.86 mph (best speed)

Took it out on the last street night yesterday evening. Got two runs before it broke when we were doing some testing in the pits. Its something in the tranny, like the diff is messed up or something. (we have another one to drop in, so no big deal)

r/t = .065

60' = 2.153 (by far the best one Ive had)

1/4 = 14.648

90.68 mph

r/t = .007 (yes sir, although I wasnt spooled enough and the launch suffered)

60' = 2.484

1/4 = 14.870

94.86 mph (best speed)

Thanks for the updates Matty. I for one have been looking forward to see how you and another person is doing on here (Turbo something). Very nice times! I want to join in the fun soooo bad but my driving skills suck with a manual (like how can u suck with an auto right?).

Anyways, keep us updated as to what broke.

Oh yeah, what happened on your first run? You had a great 60ft time but a slower trap speed. Why?

First run, i was on like 13-14 psi of boost. I took my time staging and had it spooled up = great launch. We then went back to the pits to install the new boost controller that i built a while back [and my bro and dad had 'tuned' to 15psi on a pressure tester back at the shop]. So I'm at the starting line and the starter hit the botton quick so I wasnt spooled up (caught a hell of a light though), hence the crap 60' time. Once going I take a look at the boost gauge and its like 23psi, I got a little gunshy and got off it a bit, but then after looking in the mirror and not seeing smoke, I got back into it and ran it out. So if I had it spooled at the start and ran it full out, it would have been a great run.

Got back to the pits to fiddle with the boost controller and get it down to a reasonable psi. Did a power brake move to see if the wastegate opened, got to 15psi and started to creep through the brakes, so i let off and I suspect thats where the problem occurred. Because then when i went to head off to the lanes, left turns were about impossible. ((steering wheel took a ton of effort to even move it left, let off wheel and it snapped forcefully back. Although it didnt do it every time i went to turn. We suspect it might be the diff or something in there binding up, either that or a CV issue.)) I decided that I didnt want to chance it on a full out run, so we put it on the trailer and watch some cars run and then i headed out.

\

So that was a long a$$ story. Any suggestions on it binding up like that? I do have another tranny to drop in regardless.

-Matt

wow, did I just get called out? lol. **This isnt NASIOC, its all legit** The dozens of timeslips are at my house in MA (Im at college in NY) but as soon as i get them I will post it. I also have video from last time I am editing for size, I have those on my comp, I just need to figure out how to edit.

**Edit - My pops put the car up on the lift at the shop today. Looks like the spiders are shot. time to swap the other tranny in for now. And do some other tinkering. The track closes towards the end of Oct, so hopefully I can get one more set on it before winter.

I'll print you up some time slips, how fast did you want to go? Haha, these guys are brutal!

You might want to leave the spider gears the way they are, it will (and probably has been) helping your 60' times. I strongly believe in not replacing half bad parts. Go for the gusto! Blow those gears apart! Get it on video! Yeah baby!