Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

no antifreeze?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Midwst

Midwst

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Cedar Rapids

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:29 PM

I have a friend who is driving her car with water only...due to massive coolant leak at water pump, as long as the car does not overheat, is it okay? Or can the water boiling cause a problem in itself?

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,979 posts
  • Texas

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:35 PM

I have a friend who is driving her car with water only...due to massive coolant leak at water pump, as long as the car does not overheat, is it okay? Or can the water boiling cause a problem in itself?

I'd expect this to lead to corrosion problems very quickly. maybe, if she insists, she could at least find some aftermarket corrosion inhibiter to mix in? best to get things fivexd, do a throurough flush, and get the green stuff back in pronto!

Carl

#3 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:05 AM

Yep, the rust thing is a problem like Texan says. Also, winter frost will crack the engine block since water contracts at 4 degrees C and then starts to expand as it freezes!

#4 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,979 posts
  • Texas

Posted 08 September 2005 - 07:48 AM

Yep, the rust thing is a problem like Texan says. Also, winter frost will crack the engine block since water contracts at 4 degrees C and then starts to expand as it freezes!

DUH! I feel stupid for not mentioning the whole winter thing! Here in Texas that seems so far away! I was thinking short term but, yeah - depending on where she lives (doesn't everyone live in Texas? lol!) winter is gonna destroy her car before the rust does! But the rust has already begun.

"Rust Never Sleeps"

Carl

#5 fr3dcat

fr3dcat

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cincinnati

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:04 AM

I was running water only on my EA81 and the freeze plugs in both heads corroded through and it leaked all the water into the crancase oil.

It was a mystery where the water was going until I did an oil change. Then the light came on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users