Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installing an engine that sat for 5 years

As the title says. Likely going to be using an engine that was in a car that sat INDOORS for 5 years. The guy is checking it out for me today to make sure it turns over, aside from being coated in dust from sitting the engine bay of the car looks good.

New timing belts, new front and rear main seals, new cam seals, and new valve cover gaskets for starters. What else should I change/look out for?

The engine is an MPFI nonturbo out of an 89 XT, and it's going into an 89 RX. Yes, I'm replacing turbo with nonturbo. Any other suggestions for doing this swap? I know I'll need all intake tubing and the exhaust Y-pipe at the minimum... what else?

1) Two cars, one good engine, one thrown rod

2) I need a car to drive while my restoration project is in the body shop.

3) I'm selling the car in the end anyway, next owner can do what they like with it

4) Used EA82T's are expensive in these parts

5) Every used EA82T I've had has blown up within 48 hours of me taking ownership

6) MPFI engines are an easy swap in place of a turbo and are cheap and durable

As for the 5 years thing- so far this is the best deal I've found. Low miles, CLOSE BY (this is the key factor here), and cheap!

I'd shoot a bit of WD 40 into the combustion chambers. Roll it over by hand. Also prime the oil pump up just before you fire the engine. You can unplug the dizzy or coil or something to prevent it from starting and spin it with the starter a few times. Just till you see the oil PSI needle bounce.

After that I'd say its go time! Fire it up, let it smoke for a couple hours, and put some miles on it :)