Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sad day - trading my legacy for a van

Well, I think I’m committing the unpardonable sin. I’m selling my ’90 legacy wagon and buying a minivan. We now have four kids under the age of 6 and we can’t all fit in the legacy anymore. My wife’s been driving them all around in our suburban, but with gas prices the way they are it’s killing us. So we’ve made the decision to sell the sube and get a Honda Odyssey. That way she can have the convenience of the van, better fuel economy, but I’ll have to take the suburban to work. I only work 3 miles from home and I usually commute by motorcycle anyway, so it won’t make too much difference to me. But I’ll miss my sube and I don’t look forward to having to drive the pig. But we need it to pull trailers and get to our cabin in the winter, so I’m stuck with it for a while.

So – just wanted to thank everybody on this site for all the help. This is definitely the best auto forum I’ve ever seen and it’s helped me out immensely. I’ve been looking for a similar website for Honda Odysseys, but haven’t seen anything even comparable yet. Any suggestions? And does anybody have any comments or things look out for on a ‘00 Odyssey?

And my legacy is now officially for sale, so anybody who might be interested is welcome to contact me. It’s a ’90 legacy wagon LS, all the options except the air shocks (which I replaced with struts) and everything works perfectly. The car is in excellent condition with no rust, dents, and only the usual dings & chips you’d expect for 185k miles. It does have an auto tranny which still works great. I was thinking of eventually swapping it to a manual. Perfect car to do it on because of the great condition of the rest of the car.

Thanks again – hopefully I’ll be back in a subaru someday.

Dave

dashton@wencor.com

post-1109-136027603352_thumb.jpg

Well, I think I’m committing the unpardonable sin. I’m selling my ’90 legacy wagon and buying a minivan. We now have four kids under the age of 6 and we can’t all fit in the legacy anymore. My wife’s been driving them all around in our suburban, but with gas prices the way they are it’s killing us. So we’ve made the decision to sell the sube and get a Honda Odyssey. That way she can have the convenience of the van, better fuel economy, but I’ll have to take the suburban to work. I only work 3 miles from home and I usually commute by motorcycle anyway, so it won’t make too much difference to me. But I’ll miss my sube and I don’t look forward to having to drive the pig. But we need it to pull trailers and get to our cabin in the winter, so I’m stuck with it for a while.

So – just wanted to thank everybody on this site for all the help. This is definitely the best auto forum I’ve ever seen and it’s helped me out immensely. I’ve been looking for a similar website for Honda Odysseys, but haven’t seen anything even comparable yet. Any suggestions? And does anybody have any comments or things look out for on a ‘00 Odyssey?

And my legacy is now officially for sale, so anybody who might be interested is welcome to contact me. It’s a ’90 legacy wagon LS, all the options except the air shocks (which I replaced with struts) and everything works perfectly. The car is in excellent condition with no rust, dents, and only the usual dings & chips you’d expect for 185k miles. It does have an auto tranny which still works great. I was thinking of eventually swapping it to a manual. Perfect car to do it on because of the great condition of the rest of the car.

Thanks again – hopefully I’ll be back in a subaru someday.

Dave

dashton@wencor.com

Why don't you trade in the suburban? Hint: you would save on fuel this way.

Trust me - I would love to get rid of the surburban. With a 42 gallon gas tank @ $3/gallon = $126 to fill. Ouch. But until the travel trailer and snowmobile trailer go we don't have many options. Plus we drive into our cabin in a couple of feet of snow all winter.

Interesting - I've brought up the Tribeca with my wife and she really likes the way it looks. I about barf everytime I see one. Maybe it will grow on me. But maybe an option once the kids are all out of car seats and can climb in the back. That's what's so enticing about the minivan - so easy to get little kids in and out.

Hopefully by the time the kids are a little older the Tribeca will have matured from the ugly duckling to a beautiful swan.

Dave

The Odyssey is the best mini van on the market by far. We have an 03 with over 50,000 and never had a single issue with it. There are no issues with them or any trouble areas. The only area is they really need snow tires, with the all season tires they are terrible in the snow. I put a set of studded snows on ours and now it does just as good as my outback in the snow and better in the ice. But I got a set of Blizzacks for my outback this year so I really want some snow!!

Sorry to hear you have to leave but there is no comparison to mini vans when you have little ones.

The Odyssey is the best mini van on the market by far. We have an 03 with over 50,000 and never had a single issue with it. There are no issues with them or any trouble areas. The only area is they really need snow tires, with the all season tires they are terrible in the snow. I put a set of studded snows on ours and now it does just as good as my outback in the snow and better in the ice. But I got a set of Blizzacks for my outback this year so I really want some snow!!

Sorry to hear you have to leave but there is no comparison to mini vans when you have little ones.

I test drove 05 toyota sienna and was very impressed. Liked it better than my friend's Oddysey. Didn't have a nerve to trade in my subaru legacy, though.