Ultimate Subaru Message Board

U-joint failure

so when I was putting everything together after my clutch/tranny job, I noticed that my 2nd and 3rd U-joints (from the front) where bad, especially the back one, it's impossible to move by hand! (for those of you at the MW3 campground....that would explain the sound!)

luckily, I had a second driveshaft sitting in the garage (how nice!) and just popped it in. but can these be replaced? or should I start looking for a JY 4WD subie with low mileage?

the cheap fix is picking up a used one from a JY. but they already have miles and age on them.

i had like 3 go bad in a year or two, all used units. very annoying, but i do drive alot of miles. i had all my ujoints replaced with serviceable (grease fittings) and replaceable ujoints. have to cut the olds ones out and do a little work to get the new ones in, but it is possible. Rockford makes direct replacements for your staked in OEM ujoints. their website lists part numbers for your make/model. i purchased my ujoints from http://www.staugustinefwd.com/, but i think their prices have gone up a bit since i bought mine. if you go one piece then you'll only need 2 instead of 3.