Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First post and advice sought. I am a Subaru owner already, a 2001 Forester that is mainly my wife's car. Bought new, now has 74000. Had some initial problems with blown head gaskets and failed sensors but has since been very reliable. So much so that I am looking to get a Subaru for my upcoming winter drive. I like the Outback wagons and will be looking at 96 and above. The Legacy model may be at the top of my list but the smaller one isn't bad either. I am an experienced amateur wrench owning 6 cars with 5 of them more than 16 years old and all running and in use. The reason I want to go 96 and above is the OBDII business as I have the equipment to diagnose these connections. About the Subaru, what do I have to be careful about? Any really bad years/models to avoid? I expect to be buying a car at 110 to 140 K miles and will probaly change the timing belt as soon as I get it home. I owned a GL10 many years ago and did a LOT of work on it. My first 4WD vehicle and the only car I ever rolled over. Any advice appreciated. I'll be a valued contributor here too as I like working on cars and keeping them running well beyond their expected lifetimes.

I have not owned as many or been an owner as long as most folks here. But from reading the fourms, I would likely avoid all 4EAT trannys before whatever (sorry - anyone recall???) year they got the steel sleeve in the tailshaft. Additionally, I'd be cautious about how the 4EAT was treated by the prevoius owner - did they understand their AWD system and not abuse it with mixed size tires,etc.

Imprezas with rear wheel bearing probelsm are a minor annoyance.

Oil leaks from various places. Some ticking timing belt tensioners.

A coupla years of sensitive knock sensors, a recent 1-2 years of cold weather fuel leaks.(TSB or recall on this IIRC)

Of course the internal leaking head gasket problem.

Not much else comes to mind.

Carl

In the early 2000's, there was a couple of years of "clutch shudder" if you are looking at manual. Subaru finally resolved after claiming 'no problem' for a time.

96-99 2.5L Phase I engines suffered from internal head gasket leaks, but if you get one that has been fixed in the past 3 years or so, it should be good.

2000-2002 2.5L Phase II engines suffered some external leaks.

I'm aware of 96 and 97 4EAT's having the issue in the tail shaft area as previously mentioned. Apparently most of these gave out (torque bind) around 120 to 140k. I hit double that before it happened on my 97 OB, but it did happen. I "think" it was in 98 that they fixed the issue causing that.

If you are looking at 96 to 2000ish, your safest bet would probably be a car with the 2.2L engine in it and a manual. This would cover various Impreza and Legacy models. Just don't expect a lot of acceleration if it's a Legacy wagon.

Commuter