Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am replacing the head gaskets on my 99 Subaru (180K miles). It has a 2.5 SOHC.

Couple of questions for those who have replaced gaskets or heads on these motors.

(1) Has anyone used their original head bolts on a head install. And if so, have you run into any problems from doing this. I have been getting conflicting information regarding head bolts needing to be replaced

(2) Has anyone used resurfaced heads that were shaved more than .005" ? and if so, have you had any issue's with them

(3) Has anyone installed heads without following the torque procedure outlined in the FSM to a tee ? If not, were there any consequences ?

Thanks in advance

(1) Has anyone used their original head bolts on a head install. And if so, have you run into any problems from doing this. I have been getting conflicting information regarding head bolts needing to be replaced

Yes. Twice. Without ill effects, but only 20,000 miles so far. See this thread

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41751&highlight=head+bolts

and many others on the topic.

(2) Has anyone used resurfaced heads that were shaved more than .005" ? and if so, have you had any issue's with them

Heads were shaved but I don't know how much.

(3) Has anyone installed heads without following the torque procedure outlined in the FSM to a tee ? If not, were there any consequences ?

I followed the FSM, though I wasn't overly careful about the 90 and 180 degree tightenings. So far, so good.

Good luck,

Tom