Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so my Dad wants me to get an 88 GL Sedan . . .

Guest rparadis

Guest rparadis

I'm moving to Ohio; the car's in California, and is an 88/89 GL Sedan with 60,000 miles on it, for $3,000. Good idea? bad idea? I'll be using the car for commuting, shopping, the occasional road trip. Thanks for any advice anyone has.

Guest richierich

The GL/ Loyale model had a high occurance of oil leaks. In addition they need timing belts about every 55k miles on the dot. How many miles are you planning on putting on it a week? If you plan on driving it more than 12k a year, I think you should step up and buy a Legacy. The extra money you might spend is well worth it, in the time and money you will save over the long run.

Not saying that the GL is a bad car, but the Legacy is a better vehicle.

In addition just because it has low milage doesn't mean it is in great shape. Since you are going to be driving the car across the US, I would have a pre-purchase inspection done by a reputable shop before you buy it. In addition I think that $3000 dollars is a little high for a 2WD?

Guest calebz

3k should get you a pretty decent first gen legacy. I agree its a bit high for a GL.

Your post says you are moving to Ohio.. Where are you now?

Guest thesubarukid

its more than a "bit" high, i think. I agree that that much money would buy you a better/newer legacy. Seems like a legacy would be better for what you are looking for anyway...

Guest rparadis

Thanks for all your helpful comments--I'm currently in New York, and my dad's theory is that buying a car in California--any sort of car, I'm not looking at subarus in particular, just figured this board would be the best place to get a sense of the car--will mean that there's no rust. My daily commute will be 4 miles round-trip, so probably less than 40/week total, on average. The thing is, I'm sort of stuck with the used cars going on sale in my dad's area over the next few weeks; I called him up to talk to him about the price, and his argument is that the "no rust" factor is what makes the car more expensive. What price would everyone say is reasonable for this car (again, 88/89 GL Sedan, with 60,000 miles)?

Guest Cougar4

The Kelley Blue book gives a value of about $2,250 dollars for a 88-4WD sedan. If the car is in great shape and the timing belts have been replaced I may be tempted to offer them about $2,500 dollars but that would be about my top offer.

The timing belts are due for replacement and it will cost a few hundred dollars to have it done.

Glen

Guest calebz

Just because the car has no rust doesn't make it special.. at least not any west coast car.. I understand that things are different on the east coast when it comes to rust. But having no rust on the west coast doesn't make it worth more.. unless you from back east.:D . even a piece of crap 1973 pinto will be rust free in california. it will still be a piece of crap pinto though.

Guest OH Noah

Where are you moving to in Ohio?? I'm in Columbus.

Around here, ANY rust free car with only 60k on it is worth $2000. I think $2500 might still be reasonable if it's a nice car with power options, sunroof, etc.

Do you work on your own cars?? If so, a Subaru is a good choice in my opinion. Having no 4wd cars right now, the main reason I drive Subarus is because they're so easy to work on.

If this car is a 2wd 5spd, then you can expect to get between 27 and 30mpg in your commute.

If I were getting a car from CA and bringing it back here, I'd seriously consider having it freshly undercoated/rust-proofed before it sees it's first Ohio winter. It's incredible how quickly a Subaru will start to rust in Ohio.

Guest thealleyboy

Every region of the country has it's own retail/wholesale price structure. You certainly don't want to pay any more than retail, whatever that may happen to be. As Noah says, they are hard to find in this area. I had my daily driver (93 Loyale) shipped into Columbus for that reason.

The car itself, is an excellent choice. I don't know your circumstances, but if you are coming here to go to school, that Sube should get you thru 4 (er..6-:cool: years without much more than normal maintenance schedule servicing.

If you happen to land in C-Bus, of course I'll be happy to help you keep it going. I've got lots of spare parts for the EA82 series.

good luck, John

Guest thealleyboy

RP:

If you are still in the house, I've got another possibility for you:cool:

Looks like I'm going to be offering up my 85 GL Wagon 2wd AT. Good reliable car, under 110K. It has some minor rust, but not bad for an OH car. I had bought it for a 4wd conversion project, but just picked up an rx6 which will keep me busy for awhile. Price: under $500, depending on how you want it outfitted.

Your mint CAL car wont last that way for long in OH, so you might want to consider a lower cost alternative. Let me know if interested.

good luck, John