Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifter Noise on 87 gl

Hello all!

Well here is my story, I just bought a 87 gl wagon last week and I love the car. I just changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor over the weekend.

Now yesterday, it started making some rattley lifter noise if I just did not change the oil I would guess that it was low. I checked the dip stick just to be sure and the oil is right up to the F hole. (Gee that sounds funny)

Any help on solving this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-=fred=-

Hello all!

Well here is my story, I just bought a 87 gl wagon last week and I love the car. I just changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor over the weekend.

Now yesterday, it started making some rattley lifter noise if I just did not change the oil I would guess that it was low. I checked the dip stick just to be sure and the oil is right up to the F hole. (Gee that sounds funny)

Any help on solving this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-=fred=-

By the lifter do you mean the mechanism in the engine that raises and lowers the car with height control? If so:

has the height been removed from the car?

My car is practically the same as yours and it has the same problem - it makes a rattly noise in the engine. There is one really cheap, easy option you can try. Its not guaranteed to work but if the noise goes away then it has fixed the problem.

Drain the oil (keep it since its new), and then put 3 litres of automatic transmission oil in. Then idle the engine for an hour. Don't drive it whatever you do just idle it. Since transmission oil is thinner than regular oil it should go through the engine and get oil into all small places, injectors, etc. and remove air bubbles. Finally remove and put original engine oil back in. If you don't do something about the problem then the engine will basically destroy itself.

I received all this information from the local garage when I took it for a warrant of fitness.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for the great info.

I just got back from a test drive and the noise is gone! :cool:

I pulled my oil drain plug and let out some oil and replaced it with ATF. I was not brave enough to let it all out and put in ATF. I let it idle for 20 mins and replace the oil with new along with a new oil filter.

Thank you for the fast reply and the great help.

-=fred=-

If you don't do something about the problem then the engine will basically destroy itself.

I received all this information from the local garage when I took it for a warrant of fitness.

Hopefully this helps.

*quirks* Really? The most common tapping noise is the lash adjusters cycling, and they can do that for all eternity without causing any major problems.

-=Russ=-

If you don't do something about the problem then the engine will basically destroy itself.

Bah, a lifter tick is nothing to worry about. I've got 30,000 miles on a ticking engine, and the little fella runs like a champ. My old one had 45,000 on it when I sold it and it ticked every time I started it. Annoying, but nothing to worry about.

Search the site for "Tick of Death," you'll find a thousand threads on it.

I am glad to hear that is nothing to really worry about.

But today the tick is back. :confused: Has anyone really just put ATF in their crank case and let it run for an hour?

Chould this mean I have low oil pressure?

Maybe I will try some Seafoam.

It just kills me that when I bought the car there was no tick. I try and give her a tune up and the tick starts.

Thanks again for the help.

-=fred=-

I've tried doing the ATF thing, and it worked for a little while. I drained the oil, filled with ATF, and idled it for about 30 min. Tick stayed away for about 6 months.

I've never noticed any performance hit from ticking, though, and it doesn't seem to affect the engine longevity either.

Well I decided to run to the local parts store and buy some seafoam on my lunch break.

The radio doses not work in her yet, so I had my I-pod turned up to drown out the noise. By the time I was in the next town over, about a 15 min drive, the noise had stopped again.

So I guess I will just keep an eye on it, or would it be ear, and run a second engine flush at the next oil change.

Thanks for the input!

-=fred=-

Seafoam cured my TOD, or at least almost cured it. I used a half a can in the crankcase, drove for about 500 miles, and then changed the oil. It still ticks sometimes, usually when I first start it up, and also for what seems weird to me, every time I jack the front end up, it will tick loudly for a few miles after I let it back down.

You can also use a heavy weight oil to lessen the tick, although there seems to be some concern about whether that causes engine problems. I ran 60 Wt for about a year before I learned about Seafoam, and didn't notice any problems - but then I guess you wouldn't until years later...