Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DIY rubber o-ring for cam case?

I was just wondering if anyone has ever thought about trying this. Instead of using RTV or something else out of a tube, getting a large o-ring w/ rectangular cross-section and installing it into the groove of the cam case, kind of like the VC gasket.

Even if it is a little too small to go the whole way around the case, I don't think it would hurt to leave a gap at the top.

It might be tricky finding the right cross-section to give you the right compression on the o-ring. Maybe that's why Subaru never ended up doing it.

Do the newer Subarus (Legacy/Outback/Forester) use the same cam case setup as DL/GL/Loyale?

EDIT:spelling

As far as I know, the EJ engines combined the cam tower with the head.

If you use the proper sealant on the cam tower (Anaerobic gasket maker, NOT RTV), there should be little or no leakage. However, an actual O-ring type seal would be cool. They make kits for forming custom O-rings that include several feet of the ring material and some special glue to connect the ends with. You might be able to find one in the right size and make some gaskets that way. Just a thought.

...They make kits for forming custom O-rings that include several feet of the ring material and some special glue to connect the ends with. You might be able to find one in the right size and make some gaskets that way. Just a thought.

I'll have to store this in my memory bank for future reference.

No matter what, it would save tons of time to be able to use an o-ring instead of a liquid sealant. Even if it didn't last quite as long, it would make it almost as easy as changing a valve cover gasket.