Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's better???

Is it better to drill the rims or the hubs when doing a six lug conversion and how do you guys handle the "angled part" where the lugs funnel in? (Do you know what I am saying since I can't think of a better way of putting it right now?) I found some REALLY nice (aftermarket) rims off of a Toyota that I am going to attempt to get and I think I may want to drill the hubs because I don't want the rims to look all rigged up and having extra holes and such But I want to know if this is actually better. I would think because the rims are not as hard as the hubs. Anyone have imput???

Boz

You will have to take two lugs out of your hub the ones that are diagaionl from each other (/) and bolt it to your rim.

At that point you can deside two drill two holes in to the rim so you can use four lugs on a six lug rim (Never understood that concept) :confused:

Or drill 4 holes in the hub and have a 6 lug hub and a 6 lug rim

you will need 8 addtional lugs to do the job

Hassey

I've got a half and half system on mine. The fronts are 6 lug hubs, and the rears are 4 lug rims. The rim is much easier to do, plus all you have to do is drill 2 holes in the much easier to drill rim. I haven't had any problems with it on the rear end. Although the fronts are a different story. I had the rims drilled out, but I ran into the problem of snapping off lugs on the front with only 4. So I decided to drill the hubs. The hubs are harder to drill, so take your time. Plus you'll have to build up a weld on the back side, and then machine it down so that the lugs will sit in there straight. I haven't done this yet, so 4 of my lugs sit at a slight angle. Not really a problem, but can be annoying when trying to take off the tire. It's up to how much work you personally want to do, or have done for you.