Ultimate Subaru Message Board

79 FE coupe

hello everybody- this is my first posting to this or any message board so bare with me. my current sube is a wine colored 79 fe coupe 5spd that is totally rust free and makes me happy just to look at it which is good because it is now in pieces. this sube was referenced before on the forum, the one on ebay, i ended up buying it private sale after taking a bus from maine to vermont. i drove it back that night, my apprehension melting away as the miles slipped by.

first question; what is an fe? the only thing i could figure out is that the compresssion seems to be higher then other models of that year. it is well appointed with sunroof, louvered rear, etc. is it a Fuel Efficient model? now my confession. I bought this perfect running subaru to convert to full electric power. I chose this car because of its light weight, front wheel drive, lack of engine driven accesories, man tran and because i have always loved gen 1 subarus (my first was a 77 4wd wagon that my dad gave me to learn to drive on and i subsequently and regrettably beat the living snot out of on the skidder trails at our forest home)

this may offend some purists who think i should keep it stock, be assured though that the decision was well thought out and keep in mind that after putting BUCKS into this car it will be more likely to be well maintained and live a long and prosperous life as quite probably the worlds only zero emission gen 1 subaru.

i would love to see all the awesome extra parts i don't need find a good home

-engine with weber 2 bl (32-36) carb in great running condition -minus the flywheel and possibly the throttle linkage or some other brackets and such, i'll repost the exact info after the conversion is complete

-fuel tank with sender (entire fuel system) basically everything associated with internal combustion like

-entire original exhaust system

-radiator and fan

everything is in great shape, all the bolts easily came out, almost lept out with electric vehicle anticipation. so please respond with any info regarding the FE, any interest in the parts, helpful tidbits, or what have you and thanks for reading my post. at

Welcome and congrats. on the subaru! I can't help you out with some of you questions but I can say that a full electric subaru sounds interesting. Good luck and please post some pics if you have them (before and after) :D

I'm sure Paul (moosens) and subaru3 will pop in to give you some info. These 2 are pretty world class knowledgable guys on the gen 1's.

Oh MAN!

i was gonna grab this stuff for caboobaru`s wagon:banghead:

Uhh,last I heard from him I was going to have Mudrat go by and get it.I thought Russ and I had that in the works and I was waiting to hear more from him.....but I do have my hands full,and Mudrat sure does too....Still,I'd like to see it make its way east regardless.We'll talk.;)

hey guys, its kinda a first come, first serve deal. If someone can get it trailered away, that is the most ideal thing for me. I do know that if it makes its way east, it would definatly be going to a good home. Paul kinda has dibs but if he has no way to get it, then 75subie will get it and if no one gets it, well.....

As for the coupe, sounds like a great project! I'm excited to see what becomes of it since I have done a couple electric cars before with people that work at Hewlett Packard.

hey guys, its kinda a first come, first serve deal. If someone can get it trailered away, that is the most ideal thing for me. I do know that if it makes its way east, it would definatly be going to a good home. Paul kinda has dibs but if he has no way to get it, then 75subie will get it and if no one gets it, well.....

As for the coupe, sounds like a great project! I'm excited to see what becomes of it since I have done a couple electric cars before with people that work at Hewlett Packard.

I think the best thing to do,unless Jon can get it whole,is to have our good buddy Mudrat fill his hands even more so as to part what we need and ship it...with my wheels he's had stored for me.John(Mudrat) is a good guy.Sure he's under fire,but I'm also behind on evening up with at least 3 or four board members.I am trusting Mudrat can at least get the car to his place and get things going.

Jon in NY,if you can cover the transport then go ahead.I'd rather see it whole than get some parts off of it.I've got most of what I really need already.

I'm busy right after I get off the computer but let's try to talk over the rest of the weekend.Later on sometime Jon in NY,please call me as I didn't keep your number handy....I'll make the west coast calls later to Mudrat and Russ if I have his number.Gott go,see you later...