Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 spd swap questions

OK, Finally found one cheap enough but just want to ensure I read the repair manual correctly. To install the 5 spd into my 86 BRAT I will need the following from the donor car: Tranny, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and driveshaft. (And consoles) Is this correct? (Yes, I know that I am gonna have to buy one of Jerry's kits) speaking of Jerry where the heck is he??? Haven't seen hime in a while. So anyway, Do I have my parts needed list correct? Am I forgetting anything? I may need some clarification also when the install time comes but for now just want to get the parts. Thanks, Boz

Hey Boz This is Jerry, i am still here. On this kit you will need to send me #1 the 4 speed cross member #2 the 4 speed shifter the part that the shift knob screws to #3 the 4x4 shift linkage the part that gose through the rubber boot #4 the 5 speed shifter the part that the shift knob screws to #5 the 5 speed tranny mounts all 3 of them. When i get these parts i will rework them to fit the 5 speed. OH BTW you use your stock consel and 4x4 shifter it all looks the same as it was stock. Let me know when you want to do this. Thanks Jerry

I think u'll need radious rod plates unless that was just me? And also... Jerry... The 4wd linkage thing u said would mount to some bracket on my car. The bracket is non existant and it looks as if I need to cut my hole out a little. :rolleyes: But other then that, and me strippin out my transmission. It went in ok, but I need to take another trip down to ur house so I can get my shaft done!!! What R u doing thursday Friday or saturday?

I'm getting a manual tranny soon, is there something somewhere that this is all documented? Also do I need the kit if I'm just putting a 2WD tranny in a 2WD car?

I just figured I needed the flywheel (which I'm looking into using an XT because I heard they're lighter?), clutch and pressure plate, oh and the clutch petal box or whatever it's called.

I have no idea how hard it is to do a conversion, seems like it could be pretty hard, but a lot of people seem like they do it on here.

Sorry if this is a repost!

.COM I think the kit is only for EA81s going from 4speeds to 5speeds. Where as you have an EA82t going from auto to manual.

I think your biggest headache will be the pedal assembly. It does "bolt in" but you will have to run all the cables :(

I know some here have done this swap however and hopefully they can shed light on this.

Hey Matt This is Jerry, i will be at Moxee motors on saturday and that is at Pat's shop. Thursday and friday i will be working. BTW for the people that want to know how much that 5 speed kit cost is 100.00 plus shipping and you ship me the parts or if i have to get them it will cost you my time and what ever the parts cost. Let me know what you want to do Matt. Thanks Jerry