Ultimate Subaru Message Board

left and right front axles the same?

Does anyone know if the left and right front axles on a GL/Loyale are the same? I've got two wagons, both with toasted right front CV joints and wheel bearings. But the left axles and bearings are both good on em. So, I was thinking to take the left axle off one (pressing the bearings out of the carrier), and put it on the right side of the other. Someone told me they aren't the same, but he also thought it was a transverse engine.....:-p Also, are the axles the same from the '87 to the '91?

Ideas? Is is possible to do the wheel bearings yourself if I weld up a simple press to use with my hydralic jack?

Thanks

no press needed, just a hammer and a punch/chisel/drift

the axel will come out if you loosen the axel nut, back the nut off just enough

to protect the threads on the axel, and whack it with a BFH.

if youre a "good" mechanic, you will also use a block of wood to protect the

nut.

one or two swings and it will flop around in there.

inside joint has a spring-pin about 3mm in diameter, you will need a proper

punch for that one. one side of the inner joint has a dimple, thats the side to put the pin back in on.

bearings can be driven out with just about anything, broken screwdriver, chisel...

putting them back in should be done with something soft like a large diameter brass drift. seat it in there then tap round and round till its bottomed.

same with the seals...

subes dont need too much in the way of "shop" tools...

would it not be easier to just swap the hubs instead of pressing the bearings in and out? front hubs are typically easy to remove assuming the rust on the bolts isn't too bad, it's only a few bolts. heck you could probably even just leave the cv axle attached to it and swap that as well without removing the axle nut.

would it not be easier to just swap the hubs instead of pressing the bearings in and out? front hubs are typically easy to remove assuming the rust on the bolts isn't too bad, it's only a few bolts. heck you could probably even just leave the cv axle attached to it and swap that as well without removing the axle nut.

Gary, left vs. right, won't swap.

Your axles will swap side to side. Be very careful when driving out the bearings. After they are out check very closely for any damage from removal. Repack the bearings prior to installation.

Good luck!

Gary, left vs. right, won't swap.

Your axles will swap side to side. Be very careful when driving out the bearings. After they are out check very closely for any damage from removal. Repack the bearings prior to installation.

Good luck!

Thanks. I'm going to pull them apart this morning...