Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what tranny parts can be swapped?

Snowman

I'm looking for ANY and ALL information pertaining to this subject. Please don't be shy with personal anecdotes or "trivial" facts.

Having swapped the EJ22 into my EA82 wagon, I am now trying to figure out how to build the ultimate tranny for it. I'm currently running the AWD 5mt from the legacy in place of my old d/r 5mt. I like the 4:11 gears (and what appears to be a lower 1st gear) of the legacy tranny, but I absolutely want a low range as well since I'm running 27's. The 4wd vs AWD is still up in the air for me, as they both work pretty well overall.

Basically, my question is which parts will interchange between these two transmissions?

Specific ideas: Can I put the 4:11 gearset into my old d/r 5mt? Is the low range gear reduction a separate unit that can put into the legacy 5mt? How about the AWD center diff? Can I combine that with the old d/r 5mt? If the first gear in the legacy tranny IS lower, can i put the gearset from that transmission into the d/r 5mt?

Also, on the rear differential, will the LSD unit I have for an EA82 go into the 4:11 legacy rear differential? The housing looks identical, but that's all I've looked at so far.

Again, ANY input into this perplexing situation would be greatly appreciated. If there's even a CHANCE that some of these things would work, I'm going to try to come up with some spare transmissions to test this on. (If any of you AK people know where I could find some old defunct trannys I can take apart, please let me know, as I think experimentation is the only way to find out a lot of this stuff.)

Theres a guy in CO i believe that has the 4.11 gears in the old D/R.

Once i have the time and parts, i'm gonna try to get 4.44, why stop at 4.11, and the 1.59 low range all stuffed into a RX AWD tranny, that way you have the diff lock, and the awd when you don't need full on 4WD.

I digress, yes, its been done, but he's not tellin, which is a shame. (I believe machining may have been involved)

There's a guy who's on ausubaru that's done it and one who's about to. 411 into leone gearbox is alright. 4.44's need grinding and some other shim work from what I've read. Sorry I'm at work and can't remember my password to ausubaru otherwise I'd provide a link. Look under conversions. you must be registered to view.

Huzzah for trivial info. The legacy clutch, the friction material, fits onto the splines on the EA tranny. As far as thickness and diameter i have not checked that. but i do know a guy that is using a legacy clutch in his 1988 GL-10, so that said, could be a good upgrade, even better than the XT-6 maybe, or in conjuction with the XT-6 pressure plate and the Legacy clutch. Just puttin that out there.

Hmm, I could go with a 4.11 geared d/r tranny.

As to the clutch, I looked up the specs and I think the legacy disc is the same diameter and everything. That in itself wouldn't help much, but I would imagine that somebody makes discs with better friction material for the legacy. However, a good clutch rebuilder should be able to put any facing material, such as ceramic or kevlar onto any clutch disc. I plan to put a kevlar clutch in my soob once I get the tranny sorted out.