Ultimate Subaru Message Board

E85 can only be used with fuel system and powertrain controls that were designed for it from the start. I believe none of Subaru engines past or present can run on it. There's info at http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/afv/eth_vehicles.html.

They have a list of current models that can run on E85. There's also a VIN checker but it's dead. My minivan can run on E85 but the nearest public-use gas station to have it is over 90 miles away. Stainless fuel rails look good though.

"E85" stands for 85% ethanol, and 15% gasoline. An engine designed for it will handle it just fine, when filled with oil rated for that fuel. The octane number is 100. It's used a lot in Brazil. How widespread it would be is mostly a question of economics.

I don't know much about flexible-fuel technology, but my understanding is it mostly involves ECU programming and fuel system. The compression ratio of my van's 3.3l pushrod engine is actually rather low, but not different from the gas-only version. It doesn't even have a knock sensor. The only visible "flex-fuel" sign is stainless fuel lines. The plugs are platinum but that's probably for 100K maintenance interval.

Thanks again for the reply, avk. I guess my shock at 85% ethanol is because I've heard such negative comments about fuel with 10% ethanol--but of course that would be in a "normal" engine tuned for gasoline.

If I may ask, what is your van? And what "flex fuel" is available where you are?

My van is a plain 1999 Dodge [Grand] Caravan with 3.3l, bought used. Beginning in 1998 and until about 2003 a good portion of 3.3l minivans were flexible-fuel. There's no badges or other markings, just a decal on the inner side of the fuel door. Currently that engine is only available on fleet vehicles. "Flex-fuel" only means being able to run ethanol-gas mix in any proportion up to 85%. None is sold in NJ. The nearest public station I looked up was in MD.