Ultimate Subaru Message Board

car continually slightly over heating??

normal temps on the gauge is when the needle is at about the half way mark...lately when driving around town the needle goes to the 3/4 mark and stays there..it also does the same thing when driving 60mph or more, but when I drive the vehicle at the slower speed of 45-50mph it goes back down to the 1/2 mark...also when idleing for a short time in the sun the needle is at the upper limit but when I move the car into the shade the needle goes down to the 1/2 mark again for a minute or two...I have installed a new thermostate and checked the coolant for the proper strength and all is fine...I suspect that I need a new Rad..not sure ..any ideas

Yep, sounds like your radiator has become clogged. You can go new or pull the tank off one end and use a stiff wire or piece of sheetmetal 3/16" wide x .040" thick to clean out the passages, then carefully reassemble with a thin coat of RTV on the gasket. Let it cure 24hrs and give it a try.