Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ EA Swap - Different Clutch Fitment

yegoshin

Ok so I searched the forums High and Low and could not find a definite answer to the following question, trust me I have searched nothing came up.

Here it comes I am doing and EJ22 swap into the 85 BRAT as well as a 5 speed D/R tranny. Now the way it has been traditionally done was to get an XT6 flywheel of take and EA82 flywheel machined to XT6 spec, make the said flywheel fit the bolt pattern on the EJ Crank get an XT6 clutch kit and be on your way.

After seening how heavy the XT6 flywheel is I tried to see if there was another way to do this and my question is this: Can any of the following combinations work for my swap?

EJ22 Flywheel - EJ22 clutch disk - EJ22 pressure plate (The spline count is the same on the clutch disk - 24)

EJ22 Flywheel - EJ22 clutch disk - XT6 pressure plate (again the spline count is the same and they are of the same size 225mm)

If any of the above could work it would be TOTALY awsome because:

A) we will not have to remachine flywheels for the swap anymore

B) we can get lighter flywheels

So yea any input here is appreciated

You should be able to use a redrilled EA82 flywheel with the EA82 disk and PP.

Yes I knew that but the reason I am asking is that I want to use a lighter flywheel for the legacy in this swap.

I have just confirmed that an EJ22 clutch disk will fit the input shaft of the 5 speed D/R tranny is there any other reason then maybe a need to tinker with the starter that i couldnt use and EJ22 flywheel Cluch kit?

Sorry, I was under the impression that the EA82 flywheel was different from the XT6 flywheel.

What about shaving all the extra weight from the EA82 flywheel? If you're already having a machine shop redrill and balance it, the extra cost to turn off some of the metal shouldn't be tremendous.

Just a thought.

ok so it looks like for this to work I need to somehow move the starter gear about 1/2" out.

EDIT: ok new idea what about making and extender plate out of alumenum to the crankshaft? All that would be required is a piece of 1" alumenum and a lathe.

EDIT 2: Something like this here you bolt the EJ flywheel to the crank with this piece in between this the starter will now reach it. btw EJ22 starter will fit.

9301flywheel_spacer.jpg

There was an old saying: "if the mountain is not coming to mohamed, mohamed comes to the mountain" or something like that. Thus translating it to this cituation, if we cant get the starter closer to the EJ22 flywheel why not get the flywheel closer to the starter?

how so? a lighter flywheel improves revability and acceleration time, tell me why thats bad for offroading?

Rotating mass of the heavier flywheel keeps the engine rolling better. Several times I've darn near stalled but that massive flywheel kept the powertrain rolling and fired it back up. Like rolling around in 1st 4Lo and not on the gas pedal; that big flywheel will keep you moving.

It's a trade off; not like a heavy flywheel will make you incapable of offroading. If you enjoy the quicker response from the engien VS the heavy rotating mass then go for it. It's upto you, the driver, really.

a lighter flywheel will make the engine more prone to stalling under heavy load at low rpm, exactly the conditions where you want to keep momentum up and not stall. the larger inertial energy of the heavy flywheel will help keep the engine going when a lighter flywheel would not.

Its not that you can't use it, myself, i wouldn't.

There are a couple of questions to be answered before it will be known wether this will work or not, however I just had my hernia surgery on tuesday and the engine is on the stand with the flywheel still on thus I can only work on the wiring. I am hoping that my friend will come over in a bit and we can get that flywheel off to do a couple of measurement and see if this will be feasible.

Yes I am strongly considering steel for this as I wouldn't want the flywheel to come lose at 6000rpms, might even do a couple of calculations there.

Ok so I did some more thinking/measuring here is the only possible way to do it: It would have to be just a 1/2" spacer with 9 holes in it, 1 for the center and 8 for the mounting bolts. The spacer would go onto the end of the crank and the pilot bearing would go into the center hole on the spacer. The flywheel would get centered with how much (2.7mm) of the pilot bearing is sticking out. Plus I would need to get longer bolts.

The only stopper to this plan is currently the fact that the EJ22 pressure plate is a bit thicker then the EA82 pressure plate (I think not sure though) so still need to make sure that all of that will clear as well as the throughout bearing is the right thickness. Might have to find a different thoughout bearing. That and I have yet to measure the distance from the transmission input shaft to the starter shaft to make sure its the same as in the EJ tranny.

PS does anyone know the step sizes for the EA82 flywheel and the XT6 flywheels?

• 2 months later...

So after taking measurements from the center of the flywheel(input shaft to the tranny) to the center of the starter on both the EJ22 and the EA82 transmissions, I belive that distance is different which means you cant fit it into the bellhousing, Just to make sure I will make the measurements 1 more time over thanksgiving weekend and post them here, but as of right now I dont think it will work.

I was thinking about this the other day...specifically a spacer for the flywheel. I think I'll be getting my hands on an ACT 14 lb flywheel for an EJ engine....i'd like to see if I can use it on the EA82 somehow.

the EA82/XT6 clutches are not weak...you just have ot search and find the right aftermarket one....I have a clutch that was realitively inexpensive and it holds 240hp/320tq at the crank.

Skip makes lightend flywheels...you cannot take off too much before the structual integrity of the FW is compromised. ~18lbs is as light as you can get it.

okay ladies, the great John Bloom has tried probably every combo you can think of. he says that there is only one way to do it, and just for the record, an XT6 clutch disc and pressure plate can handle whatever power an ER27 can put out, which is probably in the neighborhood of what a EJ22 will put out. dont get me wrong, ive thought about this also. the fact of the matter is that the EJ motor clutch disc is bigger in diameter than the EA input splines on the EA trannys, that solves that. the EJ flywheel, while having the bolt pattern of the EJ motor, is either too big or too small to be engaged by the EA or EJ starters in the EA tranny, see where im going? you use the EA flywheel, machined to XT6 spec, or you use the XT6 flywheel, turned to tolerance. not trying to stay in the box or anything, but this pot has been burnt, stirred, and burnt again. it is what it is, brother.

~Josh~

just for the record, an XT6 clutch disc and pressure plate can handle whatever power an ER27 can put out, which is probably in the neighborhood of what a EJ22 will put out.

EJ motor clutch disc is bigger in diameter than the EA input splines on the EA trannys, that solves that.

True, the ER27 has more power than the EJ22, so thats a non issue, but the early legacy EJ22, which we are getting our engines from, the tranny spline is exactly the same, verified and checked myself.