Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fancy new intake installed on the buggy!

nkx

http://photobucket.com/albums/b329/nkx/

misc8905013.jpg

well i finally got my new intake on last night. i decided that my old setup just wasnt cutting it. it was ugly, obtrusive, it sucked in hot air from the engine bay, and was probably almost as restrictive as the stocker. (with the exception of the cone filter.)

so i built a new one out of a 3" mandrel bent piece of pipe from summit, a piece of 3.25" truck radiator pipe, and a healthy portion of cuttin and choppin! i reused the MAF adapter, the t-bolt clamps, and the filter (which may be replaced with a smaller unit - look at the pic, it hardly fits in there!) and the best part is it all fits! the washer fluid resevoir isnt affected, and i had to just slightly modify the fender liner to get it around the cone.

i didnt really think it would make a big difference as far as performance, but its got a bit more grunt now. plus you can hear the turbo spooling! :D

i forgot how much fun this stupid car was to drive until i got it all put back together and took it out for a spin last night. if i was make another intake, id use a 90 deg silicone elbow and a straight piece of pipe. that would be much easier than trying to hack the pipe up so its flush with the MAF adapter.

sweetness, you gotta make me one, ill pay you for it. thats sweet, and i need something to get my filter outta the engine compartment.

oh yeah, my rx is running great, its also a lot faster than i thought it would be. you gotta hit me up man.

you should make a jig to make more of those intakes, you might make some money doing that...

thanks for the compliments guys. i dunno about selling them yet. i would definately use a silicone elbow as opposed to the mandrel bend. much less cutting and cursing.

theres a lot of disassembly involved though :( you have to unbolt the bumper to remove the fender, then you have to remove the stock airbox and resonator, move the washer fluid resevoir out of the way, and cut a hole in the fender well.

i was watching your progress of your intake too, caboobaroo. that was good work, but i didnt wanna pay for an expensive aem intake only to chop it up!

thanks for the compliments guys. i dunno about selling them yet. i would definately use a silicone elbow as opposed to the mandrel bend. much less cutting and cursing.

theres a lot of disassembly involved though :( you have to unbolt the bumper to remove the fender, then you have to remove the stock airbox and resonator, move the washer fluid resevoir out of the way, and cut a hole in the fender well.

i was watching your progress of your intake too, caboobaroo. that was good work, but i didnt wanna pay for an expensive aem intake only to chop it up!

I didn't chop it at all:D I'm still trying to figure out why you had to remove the fender and the bumper? All I did was remove the plastic inner fender, line up the intake hose on the inside of the engine compartment, mark where I needed the hole to be and cut with a Dremel. Then I found one of the old holes from either the resonator or the washer fluid resevoir and bolted it in. The only cutting was the inner fender well area where it comes through at, plus I have the splash tin mounted back in and it will keep the air filter nice and dry.

i took the fender off so i could get out the stock airbox resonator/snorkel thingy and so i could have a better look at what i had to work with. plus, with the fender off theres much more room for a cut off tool.

on a side note, i just got home from driving the buggy and i still love listening to the turbo! it sounds like a mini tractor trailer without the nasty diesel rattling!

You had to remove your bumper? I didn't. I just turned the wheels toward the drivers side, and then pulled the fender plastic down and out of the way. After that, I just used my trusty angle grinder w/ 4" cut-off wheel and went to work. I used an aftermarket 3" aluminum intake for a 90-93 Honda Accord, after I cut it into 2 pieces. As soon as I get back to Texas, I'll try to take some pictures of my intake setup and post them. It looks good and works even better!

ive been known to do things a little differently... theres the easy way of doing things, theres the hard way, and then theres my way which always takes another hour or 2 and a bit more swearing. :rolleyes:

"ok kids, theres now three ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way and my way!"

"isnt that just thw wrong way?"

"yes, but only faster!"

:lol:

just reminded me of a homer quote.