Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'96 Outback Legacy, possibly timing belt

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 emeleel

emeleel

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Alabama

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:54 PM

My husband has a '96 Subaru Outback Legacy wagon, about 170K miles, purchased in February, used. On the way home from work on Friday, his AC quit working but everything else continued to work right, and then all of a sudden with no warning the engine just stopped working. (Luckily he was close to an exit and managed to coast off into a parking lot.)

It tries to start, but makes a higher pitched noise than it should. We've had several ideas given to us, but the most reliable so far thinks it's the timing belt. We do have the Haynes manual, would this be easy for someone who is only marginally mechanically minded? (Well, cars anyway.)

Thank you.

#2 gbrand

gbrand

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • fort worth area

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:07 PM

The A/C quitting first seems strange-would not be symptom of timing belt unless entirely curcumstancal. A compression check would reveal if tming belt was bad-prolly get close to zero compression in all cylinders if broke. Perhaps alternator is bad letting battery run down? Put voltmeter accross battery and see what it reads, 12.5++ OK, much less it may be too low to start. Hard to diagnose by remote control but that is where I would start.

Let us know what you find out

#3 emeleel

emeleel

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Alabama

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:45 PM

Thank you for your reply! We do have a voltmeter, so we'll check that out this afternoon. If it's reading low, there are a couple of the chain auto places in town that can do stand-alone alternator tests - the car won't start at all. Makes a higher than normal sound and tries to catch, but doesn't do anything.

#4 bartt

bartt

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Placerville

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:50 PM

How about if you remove the timing belt cover on one head or the other and check the condition of the belt. They are good for about 60k miles. If you missed the last change (120k) it probably broke..

I've changed mine a few times. It's not fun, but you can do it..

Good luck

#5 emeleel

emeleel

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Alabama

Posted 12 September 2005 - 05:11 PM

How about if you remove the timing belt cover on one head or the other and check the condition of the belt. They are good for about 60k miles. If you missed the last change (120k) it probably broke..

I've changed mine a few times. It's not fun, but you can do it..

Good luck

DH is going to do that this afternoon. It was purchased in Feb. at about 160K miles, and I thought that the dealer did all those basic tuneup things, but may not have done that.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users