Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Piston rings: which way up?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:09 AM

OK, so i believe that oem rings have a mark on the top to indicate which way up they go. The ones i have do not. The top looks symmetrical, while the 2nd ring has a step in it - you can see it in the pic.

Attached Files

#2 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:21 AM

My various manuals either show the rings as symmetrical, or say there is a mark on the upper surface, or to say to follow the manufacturer's instructions on the ring package.

Hmmm... not much help.

#3 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,125 posts
  • WA

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:28 AM

I'm looking at a EA81 FSM and they show 2 diag. The marks go up, the top ring has beveled edges, the 2nd ring has sharp edges and the oil ring either has a second ridge under the top rail or even rails, so that doesnt make a difference. Do you know the positions and gaps for the rings? I can scan the FSM and post it?

#4 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:51 AM

I'm looking at a EA81 FSM and they show 2 diag. The marks go up, the top ring has beveled edges, the 2nd ring has sharp edges and the oil ring either has a second ridge under the top rail or even rails, so that doesnt make a difference. Do you know the positions and gaps for the rings? I can scan the FSM and post it?

His description and second photo show a ring that is chamfered on its outside edge...

#5 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,125 posts
  • WA

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:12 AM

The ring with the step on it, is the top ring. And the one with no step is the 2nd ring.

#6 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:14 AM

The ring with the step on it, is the top ring. And the one with no step is the 2nd ring.

The packaging says the opposite....

#7 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:23 PM

Yeah, i have a scanned copy of the fsm.
Im presuming the top ring, with chamfered edges, goes up either way, since it seems symetrical and has no markings.
I still dont know what way the second ring with the step in it goes. Anyone?

#8 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,125 posts
  • WA

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:41 PM

Ok, now I'm cornfused :confused: Both rings have beveled edges, but only one has the one edge beveled? I see nothing of that in the FSM. Not sure, but I would assume the bevel goes down.

#9 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:04 AM

Ok, now I'm cornfused :confused: Both rings have beveled edges, but only one has the one edge beveled? I see nothing of that in the FSM. Not sure, but I would assume the bevel goes down.

Sorry, top rings have chamfered edges.

#10 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,931 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:05 PM

ID of the 2 rings is easy. The more flexible ring is the top ring. The 2nd ring is the one that REQUIRES a ring pliers and is very much breakable. They should have an N or an R on their top edge near the gap and in VERY small lettering sometimes. Most pistons that I have seen dont allow interchange of rings because the groove isnt wide enough for one of them to fit in.

#11 iluvdrt

iluvdrt

to lift, or not to lift

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • j-ville nc

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:54 PM

The bevel goes on the bottom, of the middle ring slot on the piston, and is the compression ring. It is beveled to allow for "collecting" of the oil it is scrapping off of the cylinder wall. You want all of the rings to have a perfect 90 degree flush surface when mating with the top of the cylinder.

The symetrical ring doesnt matter because it is the compression ring.

The oil ring should be wierd looking and it goes on the bottom.

Make shure you space the gaps out, in other words dont line up all of the gaps from the rings in the same place or you will have some sick blowby, possible even no compression.

#12 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:56 PM

great, thanks.

#13 iluvdrt

iluvdrt

to lift, or not to lift

• Members