Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

00 OBW Transmission Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MNawd

MNawd

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Duluth

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:39 AM

I have about 108K on my 00 OBW. I just took a 3K mile Road Trip from Minnesota out through Jackson Hole WY and up throught Yellowstone and back through MT. While in the mountains my tranni started to "slip" a little. If you were to come to a rolling stop and then give it some gas there is a lag and it kind of jumps into gear.

Do i simply need a transmission flush? Or could it be that my tranni is going bad? I had my 90K mile maintenance done but i only had my transmission drained and re filled, not flushed. Do you think that would matter?

Thanks for the input.

#2 afomenko

afomenko

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sterling

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:42 AM

Well, it does not smell good at all, considering that it's being only 18K miles from last transmission fluid change.

I would use an additive for old transmissions which claims to restore viscosity and reduce slip - I used "Slick 50" I believe, with good result - it really helped with gear kick-in and with slip.

It helps to extend period before repair, but of course does not cure a cause. Still, worth a try for few bucks.

#3 Steves72

Steves72

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • SE PA

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:17 PM

My 2000 obw started showing the same problems last year shortly after I purchased it. I was fortunate that the car carried a four year / 60,000 mile warranty on the transmission and I was covered.

Over time the problem only got worse with time.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users