Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EMERGENCY smoke and noise under hood

I hope someone can give me some direction on this one as I am leaving for a cross-country trip tomorrow morning unless it's something major! I was on my way to gas up tonight and as I drove up a very steep hill, power faltered, there was a really loud rattling coming from under the hood and a very stinky white smoke came out. I made it to the top of the hill (slowly) and lifted the hood. By then I didn't see any more smoke so proceeded to gas up. I drove carefully home (about 2 miles). I called the mechanic where I ususally go for major things and will get it over to him tomorrow morning first thing. Any ideas of what I might be facing. It is a '92 TURBO Legacy wagon with 158K. I had all belts done last year. All head gaskets replaced. Turbo problem? Thanks! It's just me and my dog going on the trip and I don't want to get stranded in Nebraska!

I hope someone can give me some direction on this one as I am leaving for a cross-country trip tomorrow morning unless it's something major! I was on my way to gas up tonight and as I drove up a very steep hill, power faltered, there was a really loud rattling coming from under the hood and a very stinky white smoke came out. I made it to the top of the hill (slowly) and lifted the hood. By then I didn't see any more smoke so proceeded to gas up. I drove carefully home (about 2 miles). I called the mechanic where I ususally go for major things and will get it over to him tomorrow morning first thing. Any ideas of what I might be facing. It is a '92 TURBO Legacy wagon with 158K. I had all belts done last year. All head gaskets replaced. Turbo problem? Thanks! It's just me and my dog going on the trip and I don't want to get stranded in Nebraska!

Did it smell like roasted marshmallows? kinda sweet? Did you get a cel or a high temp on the coolant gauge? Could the fan blades have gotten into the radiator somehow?

Carl

Did it smell like roasted marshmallows? kinda sweet? Did you get a cel or a high temp on the coolant gauge? Could the fan blades have gotten into the radiator somehow?

Carl

No, it was more acrid and almost like something burning. I didn't see the temp gauge spike. When I popped the hood at home there was a boiling sound and I'm not sure how long it takes for the coolant to boil normally. This was a very short trip of maybe 4 miles total.

Have you broken a coolant hose? I wouldn't drive the thing. They have a water temperature sender - no water - no warning... and you'll be after a new engine in no time. Smoke is a bad sign. Check all fluid levels (trans, diffs, oil, coolant) and the colour of them.

It was a clattering sound like something being eaten in the fan. I checked the levels of the fluids and didn't see anything amiss. I am taking it to a garage this morning, just hope it makes it there as it is about 3 miles away. I also hope it is nothing major but fear the worst! Will let you know the results!

Diagnose for leaking head gasket, just in case. See following sites:

Scott McGerik's mWeblog,

file:///Users/marty/Desktop/HeadGasketWarningsBMW.webarchive

OK--I took a chance. Went to my mechanic before leaving town and we stood over the engine for a good half hour scratching our heads. Nothing was happening. No problems with hoses, belts, fan, etc. So...I packed up the car and drove 1100 miles. HOWEVER in the middle of Nebraska my cruise control stuck and I was cruising at an ever increasing speed of 85mph with my foot on the brakes! I was terrified. I punched the cruise button, stomped on the brakes and nothing was slowing it down. Finally I hit the gas pedal and it disconnected. I DID NOT use the cruise from that point on. What could have caused that???? At least I had no smoke/noise/loss of power. We think maybe it was something blown up into the fan or belts that burned up and dropped????

Thanks for all your help and ideas. I will be driving BACK in a couple weeks.

Dude, do not leave town in this car, until it has been fixed. white smoke and clattering are not a good combo. get this looked at right away, and repaired immediately.

OK--I took a chance. Went to my mechanic before leaving town and we stood over the engine for a good half hour scratching our heads. Nothing was happening. No problems with hoses, belts, fan, etc. So...I packed up the car and drove 1100 miles. HOWEVER in the middle of Nebraska my cruise control stuck and I was cruising at an ever increasing speed of 85mph with my foot on the brakes! I was terrified. I punched the cruise button, stomped on the brakes and nothing was slowing it down. Finally I hit the gas pedal and it disconnected. I DID NOT use the cruise from that point on. What could have caused that???? At least I had no smoke/noise/loss of power. We think maybe it was something blown up into the fan or belts that burned up and dropped????

Thanks for all your help and ideas. I will be driving BACK in a couple weeks.

Did it only make the rattling sound while the car was actually moving? OK - now I'm gonna guess (seems like I did a lot of that already huh! hah!) But maybe what you heard was a sorta flapping sound from a torn CV boot and it's grease was burning off the exhaust manifold. Check the CV boots (inner and outer) and see if one of them is split. Doesn't explain the power loss however.

that CC story was crazy! maybe you did have some arcing and it destroyed a relay/fuse box somehwere that affects the CC?

I dunno

Carl

Could a critter have gotten cozy in your fan housing? Check both the main and auxilliary housings for remnants of nests or the critter itself. Yuck!

My old boss' cat was in his engine bay when he started it one morning... poor thing's nickname was "Razorback" after that incident.

Also look for chewed wires around the cruise control, they love to chew plastic.

I never use cruise... scares the heck out of me... makes me feel like "Hal" is under the hood calling the shots.