Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Converting Part time 4WD to Full Time 4WD

I recently got my hands on a Dual Range FT Box for an EA82 motor. I have a couple of questions - please forgive me if they are obvious questions or have been answered before.

Which Drive Shafts will I need to use in the new box? I currently have a standard EA82 Dual Range box in the car. I can get some EFI 2WD Drive Shafts if they help. The motor I am using is just a carbed EA82.

Is there a standard ratio for the FT Boxes? If not, is there an easy way to tell the ratio? I have a 3.7 rear diff in my car now - so I assume I currently have a matching 3.7 gearbox.

Is there anything else I will need for the conversion? I am aware I need to get the Diff Lock switch and solenoid, etc. Are the clutches, tailshafts or anything like that different?

Any help would be appreciated

If you have a 5 speed L series box in there all ready...

Seperate the inners off your CV shafts and put some RX turbo or libetry inners on to them. Slightly bigger stub axle sized.

Your driveshaft will bolt right up,

your linkages will as well.

Your gear stick may be angled forward a little too much (making it impossible to put a CD in when in 1st, 3rd or 5th)

Heat and bend the steel of the shifter nub back a little. Or cut and re-weld.

You will LOVE it. I DO, and I have a spare in the shed just in case.

After you get the CVs sorted it will be a days work.

Best of luck.

matt

Thanks guys - thats some good info there

You're right Matt - I can't wait to get the box in. I paid a packet for it but I think its worth it - considering how hard they are to come by in Australia

My problem is now sourcing the parts from overseas like diff lock switch, solenoid, centre console, etc - but that will sort.

Incidentally does anyone know if a lift kit would affect the conversion? I suspect not - but I thought I would check.

Thanks

Geoff

Geoff,

don't stress the little bits, get a shifter and console from a Touring wagon, they came with a switch on the gearstick to operate electric 4wd activation.

Get it from the wreckers and get the vacuum solinoids to run them.

Then it all looks factory.

The lift will not affect anything.

Give us a hoy when you get done and let us know how you went.

Cheers, Matt

Yeah I'll do that - thats been suggested to me before - I was just after a bit of originality - but I will worry bout that later ;)

Where does the solenoid for the push button 4WD live? And is it the same solenoid? I'll harass some wreckers on the weekend.